[comp.sys.apple] Franklin Ace 1000 compatability

D7314@UWAVM.BITNET (11/11/86)

Date:         Mon, 10 Nov 86 14:24 PST
From:         Patrick Ryan <D7314@UWAVM>
Subject:      Franklin Ace 1000 compatability
To:           <INFO@CSNET-SH.ARPA>,

>Date:  Tue 4 Nov 86 15:23:47-EST
>From:  "Thomas S. Wanuga" <WANUGA@xx.lcs.mit.edu>
etc, etc...

>Can anyone tell me how compatible a franklin ace 1000 is with the
>apple II+?  Any major hardware/software incompatibilities would be
>appreciated.  Thanks.

I own a souped up Franklin Ace 1000, and have >1000 programs.  I've found no
major incompatibilities.  WordStar gave me some problems when it assumed a
Apple II+'s lowercase (shift wired?... something like that).  Since the Ace
already has upper/lower case, I just got WS for the IIe and had no problems.
Another problem was with a microsoft CP/M card that sucked up to much power
from the motherboard, so it eventually wouldn't work.  That hardware problem
is probably an idiosyncracy of my machine, but I've had no problems with
Advanced Logic System's Z-Engine CP/M card.  Other than that, no problems with
compatibility at all... Not terribly incredible, considering how much Franklin
copied Apple- The owners manual lists all the differences in ROM.  It's 2.5
pages long, but in rather large type, and mainly concerns "Franklin Ace 1000"
as the boot message rather than "Apple II"   :-)

Hope this helps.

                               Patrick Ryan

Disclaimer:
No, I own no stock in ALS, Franklin or whoever puts out WordStar....   :-)