[comp.sys.apple] How does the PCPI Applicard manipulate the Apple itself?

binder@asd.dec.com (NOW willya gimme some fightin' room?) (11/18/86)

The very scanty technical information included with my MicroPro StarCard
(aka a PCPI Applicard) says that the Z80 and 6502 communicate through a port
on the Applicard.  But there's not a clue as to how that port is managed.

I'd like to write an assembly-language program for the Applicard, but I
can't, without that technical info.  How does the Z80 read and write Apple
memory?  Does the port consist of an address register and a read/write data
register?  What are the addresses of any registers associated with the port?
Better yet, does anyone have a line on some official PCPI documentation that
will explain the card's architecture?  Information on how the CP/M drivers
are written to live in the native Apple would also be useful.

Please reply directly by Email, because I'm not currently receiving
comp.sys.apple.

Thanks,
Dick Binder   (The Stainless Steel Rat)

DEC Enet:	ASD::BINDER
UUCP:		{ decvax, allegra, ucbvax... }!decwrl!asd.dec.com!binder
ARPA:		binder%asd.DEC@decwrl.ARPA

ag0@k.cc.purdue.edu.UUCP (11/21/86)

In article <6453@decwrl.DEC.COM> binder@asd.dec.com (NOW willya gimme some fightin' room?) writes:
>The very scanty technical information included with my MicroPro StarCard
>(aka a PCPI Applicard) says that the Z80 and 6502 communicate through a port
>on the Applicard.  But there's not a clue as to how that port is managed.
>
>I'd like to write an assembly-language program for the Applicard, but I
>can't, without that technical info.  How does the Z80 read and write Apple
>memory?  Does the port consist of an address register and a read/write data
>register?  What are the addresses of any registers associated with the port?
>Better yet, does anyone have a line on some official PCPI documentation that
>will explain the card's architecture?  Information on how the CP/M drivers
>are written to live in the native Apple would also be useful.
>
>Please reply directly by Email, because I'm not currently receiving
>comp.sys.apple.
>
>Thanks,
>Dick Binder   (The Stainless Steel Rat)

I own a StarCard also and would be very interested in the info too.

				Colin
				(!ihnp4!pur-ee!k.cc.purdue.edu!ag0)