[comp.sys.apple] "LASER" clones: two different models

SECRIST%OAK.SAINET.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA (11/27/86)

From:    <SECRIST%OAK.SAINET.MFENET@LLL-MFE.Arpa>   (Richard C. Secrist)
Date:    Wed, 26-NOV-1986 21:22 EST
To:      INFO-APPLE@BRL.ARPA

Note that there are TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT Apple clones out their called
"Laser" that both sell for about the same price.

The "Laser" that has a separate (but included) is alledgedly compatable
enough, but I think it is cheap, with a poor keyboard, and Mickey-Mouse
type disk drive affair.  All in all, a thumbs down.

The "Laser 128" marketed by Central Point Software for one is a //c-ish
looking affair with a built-in drive (and everything else a la //c) but
in fact hardware-wise looks like an "enhanced" //e (i.e. the Apple
Computer 65C02 and ROM upgrade for //e's to make them //c compatable).
I have had good success with the 128 with the exception of modem programs,
but I think that's my fault for using ancient software (the latest ProDOS
ASCII EXPRESS is said to work great - I haven't tried DCOM).  I own both
a ][ and a //e and my company bought the Laser 128 for me at work, and
I give the machine high marks.  The only thing I don't like outside of
the fact that I haven't got it modeming yet - and I'm pretty picky being
a 10-year Apple veteran - is that I rest my left hand on the edge of the
keyboard... and on the Laser there is nothing there but a sharpish edge
that kinda hurts after awhile (the //c-ish carry handle locks down to
prop the back of the unit up - which I need to do for comfort).  But for
$395 heck with that, make a styrofoam wedge for your hand or something.
Recommended.

rcs
SECRIST%OAK.SAInet.MFEnet@LLL-MFE.Arpa