[comp.sys.apple] //C

paulb@ttidca.UUCP (Paul Blumstein) (11/05/86)

In article <6129@decwrl.DEC.COM> craparotta@tipple.dec.com (Joe Crap) writes:
>From what I understand the //E still outsells [and outsold] the //C...
>
>Joe

According to the latest Infoworld, the //e & //c each have 8% of the PC
market.  Therefore sales are about equal.  BTW, the Mac leads the PC market
w/12% market share.  However, the graph was on individual PC models.  For
example, if you add up both Apples, it would surpass the Mac.  Or if you
add up all three IBM PCs, it will also surpass it.

I remember when the //c first came out.  Apple expected the large majority
of sales to be //c instead of //e.  They drastically cut //e production &
made tons of //c's.  Right from the start the sales were 50/50.  We buyers
of iie's at the time had a hard time finding them to buy.  Apple had to
scramble to correct the situation.  I suspect the miscalculation came from
Steve Jobs who had this strange notion about people preferring closed
architectures.

It will be interesting to see how the Apple pie (pun intended) is divided
between //c, //e & //GS once the latter becomes readily availble.  Maybe I
should have thrown Mac onto the list as I suspect that it will cut into
both Mac & //e sales (but not //c) once //GS specific software is
available.
Paul Blumstein             | There's no point in being grown up if you can't
Citicorp/TTI               | be childish sometimes.     -- Dr. Who
Santa Monica, CA  90405    +-------------------------------------------------
(213) 450-9111          {philabs,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!paulb

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (12/01/86)

Anyone care to guess how long it will be before the //e is taken out
of production?  The difference in price is not that great now and as
the price of the //gs drops (and we know it will) it will be difficult for Appt    lt
for Apple to drop the price of the //e much further (unless they come
out with a motherboard that has a Mega chip, ram and processor only
on it.  I think the //e will be taken out of production within a year
and I think the //c will be upgraded to a slotless //gs and an internal
3.5 inch drive by this time next year, with a motherboard swap option,
of course, for existing //c owners.  If I were at Apple that's what I
would do.  If Apple does not do something like this, //c sales will
plummet.  The //c is an OK machine for 1984, but who in his right mind
would buy it in 1988 in its present form?  Putting a //gs inside a //c
case will be easier than it was for Apple to put a //e inside the //c
case because the //gs already has the ports.  All you have to do is
get rid of all the slots (except for the memory expansion slot), and
the 16 pin gameport adapter, as well as the power plug for the fan,
rearrange the board a little for the //c's innards, plug in the old keyb
keyboard and power supply and a 3.5 inch drive and you're all set.
Since a machine like this would have the desktop bus, you could even
add an external keyboard.  The ports (power, 2 serial, external disk
RGB video, composite video, and joystick) are already there on the case
only different electronics would be needed to drive them.  I guess a
new backplane would be needed because of the desktop bus port but ample
room would be available since the serial ports would be smaller.  The
backplane on the //c is replaceable anyway, isn't it.

Address comments and flames to:

Rick Fincher
ranger@ecsvax