[comp.sys.apple] Extra memory accessability...

SJDMK@UNO.BITNET (11/18/86)

Please excuse the questions from a novice...

It is my understanding that a BASIC program can only access 64k of the
128k //c. I've also heard something about creating a RAMdrive with
the other 64k. Is that really possible?

I'm trying to write a program that has two very large arrays that I'm
afraid won't fit in only 64k. Any suggestions? Would this extra
memory be available via a different language (Pascal, C, etc...)?

Also, what about a memory expansion "card" available for the //c.
Would I be able to access that via BASIC or another language
(besides assembly)?

                        Thanks alot,

                        Steven J. Dawson
                        BITnet: SJDMK@UNO.BITNET

ACTS5%VAXSWD%rca.com@RELAY.CS.NET.UUCP (11/18/86)

for Steven J. Dawson

GOOD NEWS!!!

DiskQuik from Beagle Brothers will make your apple ][c think that
a disk drive is in slot 3.  You'll be able to fit 64k into it
AND (since there are no moving parts) it will be faster than
a normal disk drive.

ExtraK from Beagle Brothers will allow your apple ][c to utilize all
128k of memory.  You can put varibles, strings, arrays and other data
in the top 64k an your program in the bottom.  You can have 2 64k
apples in memory at once and switch between...etc.

BEAGLE BROS, INC
3990 old town avenue, suite 102c
san deigo, california 92110

is where to send away for these programs. Or order by phone
1-800-227-3800 ext 1607 (visa/master) (questions: 619-296-6400)

I have two programs by the beagles: Mini-pix (clip art and editor)
and pronto-dos (loads hires screens in 3 secs).  I am completely
happy with them.

                         Craig Roll (][+ owner so I haven't
                                     seen diskquik or extrak
                                     work PERSONALLY)

sipples%husc4@HARVARD.HARVARD.EDU (11/19/86)

Steven,

You are quite right when you say that the Applesoft BASIC built-in to
the Apple //c cannot access the extra 64K RAM.  In fact, it has much less
than 64K free memory available.

In many cases, this extra RAM is used as a RAM disk.  ProDOS automatically
assigns the extra RAM to the a volume called "/RAM."  However, there are
some application programs which use the auxiliary memory to store programs/
data, most notably AppleWorks.

If you prefer to use Applesoft, try contacting a company like Beagle
Brothers.  They market several utilities which utilize the extra RAM, one
of which will let you store arrays and variables.

Other programming languages may help, but you'd have to consult the
software companies individually.

Additional memory boards can expand the Apple //c's RAM disk storage, and
also make available more memory for the programs which can take advantage
of it.  These RAM boards, like Applied Engineering's versions, come with
the appropriate utilities to operate as RAM disks or with AppleWorks.

If you'd like to learn the intricacies of how to access the auxiliary
RAM on the machine language level, consult some of the excellent techni-
cal reference manuals on the subject.  Apple's manuals can be ordered at
most bookstores.

Hope this information helps!  If you need additional tips, please do not
hesitate to contact me at the addresses below.

Timothy F. Sipples

BITNET: sipples@harvunxu.bitnet
        sipples@harvsc4.bitnet (?)
ARPA: sipples@husc4.harvard.edu
UUCP: seismo!harvard!husc4!sipples

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (12/01/86)

In article <8611180804.AA20491@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, SJDMK@UNO.BITNET writes:
> Please excuse the questions from a novice...
>
> It is my understanding that a BASIC program can only access 64k of the
> 128k //c. I've also heard something about creating a RAMdrive with
> the other 64k. Is that really possible?

Yes, type 'CAT /RAM' from the Basic prompt to see the contents of the
ram drive, Prodos sets it up automatically on 128K systems.  If you
get Apple's new memory expansion card, it shows up as /ram4 in slot
4.  An Applied engineering Z-Ram must run a program to be set up as
a ram disk

> I'm trying to write a program that has two very large arrays that I'm
> afraid won't fit in only 64k. Any suggestions? Would this extra
> memory be available via a different language (Pascal, C, etc...)?

Two possible solutions here: Extra K from Beagle Brothers will let you
store all of your Basic variables in the extra 64K.  This gives you more
room for both variables and Basic program code.  Apple Pascal (1.2 or
higher and, I believe, Instant Pascal give you access to the extra ram
in a similar fashion.

> Also, what about a memory expansion "card" available for the //c.
> Would I be able to access that via BASIC or another language
> (besides assembly)?

The Apple card comes with a free motherboard swap and looks like a big
ram disk, and can also be used as extra data for SOME programs (Applewo
rks, Supercalc 3a, etc.  The Applied Engineering board can be used with
most of the same programs and can be configured as a ram disk, or split
and used for both.  You'd still need Extra K or the other Languages for
extra program and data space, though.

Rick Fincher
ranger@ecsvax