[comp.sys.apple] using Rixons on a //e

SECRIST%OAK.SAINET.MFENET@NMFECC.ARPA.UUCP (12/23/86)

From: SECRIST@OAK.SAINET.MFENET
To:   INFO-APPLE@BRL.ARPA
Crock:   This line is eaten by the gateway
Subject: using Rixons on a //e

From:    <SECRIST%OAK.SAINET.MFENET@LLL-MFE.Arpa>   (Richard C. Secrist)
Date:    Mon, 22-DEC-1986 23:27 EST
To:      INFO-APPLE@BRL.ARPA

This conversation assumes a Rixon to be a Rixon 212A so-called
"intelligent modem".

You can wire up a 3-wire RS-232 cable using pins 2, 3, and 7
straight-thru, just make sure to tie pins 4 & 5 together and
pins 6 & 20 together on the CCS end.

Sundry programs work well with the CCS including DCOM v3.3
(an absolutely wonderful VT100 emulator) or others terminal
programs like ASCII EXPRESS (note: Apple's Access // will not
work with a CCS [it requires a super serial instead]).

Frankly the Rixon can be less than virtuous and I find it
easiest to use in "Hayes mode", which is compatable with a lot
of software besides.  Simply enter NU from the Rixon start-up
menu; this has the added benefit of the only way of being
able to get a Rixon to *not* answer the phone by virtue of the
ATS0=1 command (the native Rixon menu provides no such option).

[Rixons belong to the dark side of the force.]

rcs
SECRIST%OAK.SAInet.MFEnet@nmfecc.Arpa