[comp.sys.apple] Modem for the //c

mw22@ANDREW.CMU.EDU.UUCP (12/10/86)

Can anyone recommend a good 1200 baud modem for the //c?

Mike Wertheim
(Carnegie Mellon University)

nakada@husc4.UUCP (12/11/86)

In article <MS.V3.10.mw22.0.gettysburg.2727.0@andrew.cmu.edu>
 mw22@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Michael Alan Wertheim) writes:

>Can anyone recommend a good 1200 baud modem for the //c

Michael..  any external modem will work with the //c...  the hardest part
is finding one with a cable which matches the //c's screwy serial
port connector..  your best bet is to just buy a modem (check out
computer shopper..  ) with a standard rs-232 connector and go to
your local apple dealer for an adaptor cable..
other than that i'd look for a Hayes compatible modem with an speaker
and possibly led status readout..

good luck.. paul

PS.. I've used a US Robotics now for over a year with no problems..
?

forde@EGLIN-VAX.ARPA (12/12/86)

I recently purchased one of the Avatex 1200HC modems advertised in Computer
Shopper for $149.00 (this is NOT the Avatex also advertised for $109.00 by
the same company).  The 1200HC is Hayes compatible while the Avatex 1200 isn't
fully compatible.  I would highly recommend this one for the //c.  It is
supported by both Ascii Express and a new, equally powerful, program called
Modem MGR (see Nibble Mag for ad).  Most dealers who handle the Avatex 1200
should have the 1200HC as well.

Eric S. Ford
FORDE@Eglin-Vax.arpa
------

aht@i.cc.purdue.edu.UUCP (12/12/86)

	I have a //c and I first bought a Hayes Smartmodem and they will
    supply you with a cable and all the stuff you need.  I then moved to
    a 1200 baud and used the same cable....if you really want a good modem,
    the Smarts are the best in my book.  I dont know if the Hayes compatibles
    will supply you with a cable or not...if so, get it...it will be much
    cheaper.

   Kyle Grieser (Yuf)

       USENET - {seismo, decvax, ucbvax, ihnp4}!pur-ee!i.cc.purdue.edu!aht
      ARPANET - aht@i.cc.purdue.edu
       BITNET - GRIESER@PURCCVM

    Disclaimer :  I'm confused.

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (12/12/86)

In article <MS.V3.10.mw22.0.gettysburg.2727.0@andrew.cmu.edu>, mw22@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Michael Alan Wertheim) writes:

> Can anyone recommend a good 1200 baud modem for the //c?

Computer Shopper has a modem advertised for $109 (one of their "best
buys").  I forgot the company but they have a full page ad with the
"best buy" symbol in it.  This is a very nice 300/1200 modem.  It is
an external so you will also need a cable (//c owners can get them
from any Apple dealer).  The modem is hayes compatible and worked fine
with Apple Access II and Softerm on a //e and a Laser 128.  The only
criticism I have of this modem is that it doesn't have a speaker.  So,
if your software doesn't detect busy signals or time out on calls, you
need a phone to plug into the modem so that you can listen in.  The modem
has a modular jack in the back to plug a phone into.  The modem is auto-dial
and auto-answer, if you want to use it on a BBS.

Rick Fincher
ranger@ecsvax

dennis@uw-warp.UUCP (Dennis Gentry) (12/16/86)

In article <2464@ecsvax.UUCP>, ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) writes:

> > Can anyone recommend a good 1200 baud modem for the //c?
>
> "best buy" symbol in it.  This is a very nice 300/1200 modem.  It is
> an external so you will also need a cable (//c owners can get them
> from any Apple dealer).  The modem is hayes compatible and worked fine
> with Apple Access II and Softerm on a //e and a Laser 128.  The only
> criticism I have of this modem is that it doesn't have a speaker.  So,

I have another criticism of this modem:  It ISN'T Hayes compatible, its
commands are just similar to a Hayes.  Among other things, It does not
support the "+++" feature to regain control of the modem when you are
still connected to a remote system.  This is important if your modem
is not in the same room as you are (unless you like walking down to
the machine room to press a button).

Still, I like this modem (for the price).  I have one (my machine room
is my linen closet, so the reset button on the modem isn't too far
away, and this article got posted through an Avatex 1200). I'd get
the same thing (or maybe a 2400 baud modem) if I had it to do over again.

Finally, according to the following article, you can get this modem
for $81 instead of the $109 mentioned in the preceding article.  I've
also seen it advertised in the back of Byte for $87-129.

--
Dennis.
uw-beaver!uw-nsr!uw-warp!dennis

cssu@cdfc.utoronto ("Comp. Sci. Student Union") (12/18/86)

> Can anyone recommend a good 1200 baud modem for the //c?
>
> Mike Wertheim
> (Carnegie Mellon University)

Well, like many other people have posted, generally any external modem
will do.  Generally Hayes compatibles are better, but many seem to be
attracted to the Avatex 1200 by their price.

I wasn't really impressed with the Avatex, 1) for it lack of Hayes
compatibility, and 2) for its lack of a monitor speaker.

I recently got a GVC Super Modem 1200.  I thought I had got a pretty good
deal on it, $265 Canadian, which I still think, since it was $315, only a
few months ago.

The GVC seems to be the most "popular" with the Toronto Apple users, as far
as 1200 bauders go.  The "other" brand is the SmarTEAM, but many have
experienced difficulties with this model, when connecting at 300 baud.
(As sad as it is, most of the Apple BBS community is still at 300 baud!)

The cheapest that I have seen the Avatex 1200 in Canada, is $169...
(not the $75 I hear about on the net!!)

Oh, and a little secret about the //c serial->RS232C cable...  I have
checked this out, and found that the Imagewriter interface cable has
exactly the same pin connections as the needed modem cable...  If you find
that it's cheaper than the "modem" cable, buy it... it should be identical.
I posted the exact pin assignments a while ago here, so you can verify it,
if you doubt my words.

--Tak Ariga

UUCP:       {utzoo, decvax, ihnp4, cbosgd, utcsri, mnetor}!utcs!utcdfc!cssu
ARPAnet:    cssu%cdfc.toronto.edu@csnet-relay.arpa
CSnet:      cssu%cdfc.toronto.edu@csnet-relay.csnet

              University of Toronto -- Toronto, Canada

lc@ptsfc.UUCP (Larry Colton) (12/19/86)

In article <8612180701.AA13694@cdfc.toronto.edu> cssu@cdfc.utoronto ("Comp. Sci. Student Union") writes:

>I wasn't really impressed with the Avatex, 1) for it lack of Hayes
>compatibility, and 2) for its lack of a monitor speaker.
>

>The cheapest that I have seen the Avatex 1200 in Canada, is $169...
>(not the $75 I hear about on the net!!)

The above post continues the confusion that exists about the Avatex
1200 modems.  There are TWO modems being marketed by Avatex:

	Avatex 1200 which is a plain vanilla 1200 bps modem.  It is
	NOT Hayes compatible.  I have seen it priced from $79 to
	$140 with general availability around $110.

	Avatex 1200HC is a fully Hayes compatible 1200 bps modem.
	I have seen it priced from $145 to around $200 with most
	dealers selling at around $160.

Avatex probably made a major mistake in producing two modems
without a clearer model name distinction.  However care should be
taken to insure that information posted to the net is accurate.
While the statements above are technically correct the impression
that can be left is that the plain vanilla Avatex is selling
for $169.  I doubt this is the case.

No matter, it is a case of buyer beware.  Be sure you know which
modem you want and which one the dealer is talking about!

dennis@uw-warp.UUCP (Dennis Gentry) (12/23/86)

In article <8612180701.AA13694@cdfc.toronto.edu>, cssu@cdfc.utoronto ("Comp. Sci. Student Union") writes:

> > Can anyone recommend a good 1200 baud modem for the //c?
> >

> I wasn't really impressed with the Avatex, 1) for it lack of Hayes
> compatibility, and 2) for its lack of a monitor speaker.

Exactly.  I suppose if you want a real good modem, you should get a Hayes.
[deleted discussion of overpriced 1200 baud modems, mention of 300 baud modems]

> The cheapest that I have seen the Avatex 1200 in Canada, is $169...
> (not the $75 I hear about on the net!!)

I don't know firsthand about $75, but I really and truly
bought one for $99 from California Digital, (800) 421-5041,
or (213) 217-0500, 17700 Figueroa Street, Carson, CA  90248.
They take VISA.  You can even order one from Toronto.  Really.

Mine arrived in Seattle about 3 days after I ordered it.