[comp.sys.apple] Reading IBM disks on Apple

D7314@UWAVM.BITNET (01/02/87)

Date:         Fri, 2 Jan 87 09:40 PST
From:         Patrick Ryan <D7314@UWAVM>
Subject:      Re: Reading IBM disks on Apple

>Does anyone know of any software that would run on an Apple II and allow
>it to read and/or write IBM PC format (5.25") disks (with a regular
>Apple drive) or which would run on an IBM PC and allow it to read and/or
>write Apple-formatted disks?  (I'm talking about software, not a
>hardware card, for instance.)  (either Apple DOS or ProDOS format) Seems
>like it ought to be possible on the Apple since the Apple drive is
>driven at a very low-level by the 6502.

    CALL APPLE, the famous Apple Users group here in the Puget Sound
area published a magazine with the source to a program to read IBM disks
on apple drives.  There was also a diskette included, as I recall....
The magazine was "Call APPLE in depth", and contained a lot of different
utilities.  Any apple users group should have the address, or I can look
the address up if you wish.

   On the other side of the coin, there is an IBM card that allows you to
read/write (and possibly use the software on... not sure, don't own an IBM)
apple diskettes, but the first option is quite a bit cheaper.

                            Hope that helps,
                                            Patrick Ryan

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA (01/05/87)

OK, I now have something like three responses saying it is absolutely
impossible to read/write an IBM disk on an Apple (or vice versa) without
special hardware, and here is somebody saying it is possible.  Who's
right?