[comp.sys.apple] IIgs questions

g-mccann@gumby.WISC.EDU (Lester I. McCann) (12/19/86)

I bought a IIgs a few weeks ago, and now that the semester (and associated
class projects) is winding down, I'll actually have time to play with it.
My first game will be called "Spend Money on Add-Ons."  You can help me play
by answering a few questions:  (Actually, I've asked these before, but I didn't
get a single reply.  Is anyone getting this?)

1)	Any recommendations on IIgs ram cards?  I know AE has been really
	pushing their card(s).  Any other good choices (besides Apple)?

2)	What's the current status of development software (languages, etc.)?
	Apparently TML Pascal is (or will soon be) available for the IIgs.
	Anyone have any experience with it?  (I can add some info here - Kyan
	Software will be releasing their Kyan Pascal for the IIgs in the
	first quarter of next year, along with a gs-specific version of KIX,
	a UNIX-like command shell.  They are also working on a gs C compiler.)

3)	Will my PCPI AppliCard function correctly in the gs?  I've heard rumors
	that some CP/M cards won't, and my dealer doesn't have any info on the
	AppliCard.

4)	Any whiz-bang, must-have sorts of software packages that anyone would
	care to recommend?  How about hardware gizmos?

5)	Will ProDOS 16 ever be available?

As usual, I'll summarize to the net any interesting tid-bits I receive.

Many thanks.

------------------------------
Lester McCann
Univ. of Wisc. CS Department
ARPA:  g-mccann@gumby.WISC.EDU
USENET:..!{allegra,harvard,ihnp4,seismo,topaz}!uwvax!gumby!g-mccann

mcgurrin@MITRE.ARPA (Michael Mcgurrin) (12/19/86)

I hope you get answers this time, I sure would like to know the same things.
I'm waiting a bit before buying mine (and I hope the GS is added the the
employers discount program in '87), but in the meantime I've been trying
to follow what's going on.  On my list of software/hardware I'm going to
look for the best MacDraw-like program, probably a MacPaint-like program,
a word processor supporting multiple fonts and type sizes, and some version
of C, which I would like to learn.  I'm also VERY interested in a sound
digitizing card to use this capability of the GS, and a hard disk.  The
hard disk and Mac-like programs are things I've gotten spoiled from
having on a Mac+ at work.  I'm currently using a ][ at home.

lachac@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Gerard Lachac) (12/21/86)

In article <8612192032.AA23112@mitre.ARPA> mcgurrin@MITRE.ARPA (Michael Mcgurrin) writes:
>look for the best MacDraw-like program, probably a MacPaint-like program,
   etc.

	May I suggest Dpaint 2 as the Macpaint-like program??  The Amiga
version is fantastic!!  The //gs version is the same albeit the colors...
It blows away ANY paint program in existence!! (for micros!)

SIDENOTE:
	Does anyone here on net-land know about the bug I heard for the //gs?
Something about when you set the screen a red it "glitters"?  I'm not
even kidding,  this is what I heard!  A custom chip problem supposedly...

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (01/05/87)

> 	Does anyone here on net-land know about the bug I heard for the //gs?
> Something about when you set the screen a red it "glitters"?  I'm not
> even kidding,  this is what I heard!  A custom chip problem supposedly...

When the //gs displays text on the screen with a color background and
color text some combinations use dithering and look strange.  I have
noticed that when using the desktop the grey background has red inter-
ference in it, particularly when the disk drive runs, it looks bad in
the color mode.  I don't like the font Apple uses, the 'm' and 'w' are
hard to read because the center portions are drawn so thin.  On a color
monitor these blur into almost a square block.

Rick Fincher
Ranger@ecsvax