[comp.sys.apple] APPLE CLONES

barlow@sedjar.dec.com (01/06/87)

	I AM INTERESTED IN BUYING AN APPLE CLONE IN THE NEAR FUTURE. HAVING
TAKEN A LOOK AT THE SPECS FOR THE FRANKLIN 500 & 2100 AND THE LASER 128 I
HAVE COME TO THE DECISION THAT THE LASER 128 FOR $379 MAIL ORDER MAY BE
MY BEST CHOICE. HAS ANY ONE HAD SUCESS/PROBLEMS WITH THE LASER 128. IS THERE
ANOTHER APPLE CLONE I SHOULD BE CONSIDERING. ALSO ANY RECOMENDATIONS ON A
GOOD CHEAP DOT MATRIX PRINTER.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

CRAIG BARLOW

halp@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Bruce P. Halpern) (01/08/87)

Summary:Laser 128 is recommended(but it's not a //c)

In article <7381@decwrl.DEC.COM> barlow@sedjar.dec.com writes:

>	I AM INTERESTED IN BUYING AN APPLE CLONE IN THE NEAR FUTURE. HAVING
>TAKEN A LOOK AT THE SPECS FOR THE FRANKLIN 500 & 2100 AND THE LASER 128 I
>HAVE COME TO THE DECISION THAT THE LASER 128 FOR $379 MAIL ORDER MAY BE
>MY BEST CHOICE. HAS ANY ONE HAD SUCESS/PROBLEMS WITH THE LASER 128. IS THERE
>ANOTHER APPLE CLONE I SHOULD BE CONSIDERING. ALSO ANY RECOMENDATIONS ON A
>GOOD CHEAP DOT MATRIX PRINTER.

A. Laser 128: Works very well
We normally use one as a dedicated input device and processor for an experiment. However, between experiments, it serves as a normal //clone. Most software, including Appleworks and Pascal, execute normally, although Macroworks does not.
Repair, when we damaged a chip due to external drive disconnect with power on,  was quick and covered by warantee. Having switchable parallel and serial ports  is quite convenient.

B. Printer
Try the Citizen 120D. It's available by mail for about $200. Has both draft and letter quality modes. It's small, light, reliable, etc.