[comp.sys.apple] GS and SCSI drives

CDTAXW@IRISHMVS.BITNET (01/10/87)

According to General Computer (Makers of Hyperdrive and
the Hyperdrive FX/20 (SCSI) there is some software necessary
for the II series to work correctly with the SCSI drives.  I
have been fooling around with an Apple HD20SC (Mac version) as
well as a Hyperdrive FX/20 using the standard Apple SCSI card
and cable.  Both drives test out okay using the included (with
the card) SCSI diagnostic and running under ProDOS 8 and 16, and
they seem to work okay most of the time.  There are some problems,
however, with I/O errors when writing - they are intermittent, but
annoying nonetheless.  In addition, the GS does not seem to like
having both a
SCSI drive and a Profile hooked up at the same time - it
makes it almost impossible to boot without dumping into
the monitor.  Whether this is caused by the ROM bug (reported
earlier) in the SCSI card or something else, I know not.

As I have yet to get my hands on an Apple HD20SC for the II
line, I cannot try the installation disk which I am sure is
provided.  As for the Hyperdrive FX/20, they should be offering
their SCSI GS version sometime this month or next.  And then
there is the Sider (SCSI version).

Mark

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (01/14/87)

In article <8701121800.aa02233@SPARK.BRL.ARPA>, CDTAXW@IRISHMVS.BITNET writes:
> According to General Computer (Makers of Hyperdrive and
> the Hyperdrive FX/20 (SCSI) there is some software necessary

I read an article in InfoWorld (week of Jan 14) that said General
Computer was shipping software for the // series machines that would
let them work with the SCSI Hyperdrive 20.  Its cost was said to be
$30.  I don't know what the software does, but it is evidently needed
to use the SCSI Hyperdrive on the // with a SCSI card.

Rick Fincher
ranger@ecsvax