[comp.sys.apple] 80 column bds & modems

LYMAN@IASSNS.BITNET (01/13/87)

Part of my previous questions about communications have been answered.
The majority opinion goes to Softerm II as a terminal emulator.  This
leaves me with 2 questions, in my quest for networking:

1. Serial cards vs Internal modems.

  The Apple Super Serial card seems to be the accepted standard.  However
accepted standards come at a price, and it would entail the purchase of
a separate 1200 baud modem (realistically $150 more minimum).

How are the Super Serial Clones?  I've seen quite a few advertised.

Also:

  What do people know about the Cermetek internal 1200 baud modem (cheapest
option I've found in total) and the Prometheus 1200A (I'm not even sure that
this works for a II+.

Personally my thinking tends towards the internal modems, but I don't know
which of them the software supports.

2. 80 column boards.

   It seems that my Sup'R'Terminal board is a bit of a dinosaur.  Does any other
board use the shift key wired to game port hack?  While I am willing to put the
old board to rest for one that the software will know about I would like if
possible to gain something else from a new board as well (many seem to have
an extra 64K which would be nice for example).  Also I now have to flip a
switch to go from 40 columns & graphics to 80 columns.  Only 1 output would be
a nice feature.

Any advice gladly accepted (thanks to those who have already sent some advice)

please bear in mind boundary conditions:  Apple II+ with 64K and a limited budge
t.

Thank you,

Lyman Hurd (lyman@iassns.bitnet)
Institute for Advanced Study
Princeton NJ

binder@fizbin.DEC.COM ("When you do something well, repeat it often.") (01/13/87)

Lyman Hurd (lyman@iassns.bitnet) asks:

> 1. Serial cards vs Internal modems.
>
> Personally my thinking tends towards the internal modems, but I don't know
> which of them the software supports.

Internal modems are usable in an Apple only.  If you should ever change to
(heaven forbid!) an IBM, your investment would be worthless.  Also, an
internal modem can't drive a serial printer, which most daisywheels are.  A
serial card serves both the line and the printer functions, especially if you
get one like the Apple SSC, which can be reprogrammed online.

> 2. 80 column boards.
>
>    It seems that my Sup'R'Terminal board is a bit of a dinosaur.  Does any
> other board use the shift key wired to game port hack?...

The Applied Engineering Viewmaster-80 is fully Videx compatible (works with
almost *everything*) and offers an increased set of functions including a
softswitch to select what video you get.  It doesn't have extra RAM.  It does
use the shift key mod.  I put one in the ][+ that I gave to my son when I
bought a //e, and the AE card works flawlessly.  I used it mostly for
WordStar.  The AE card's video is noticeably better than that of the //e
80-column card.

Cheers,
Dick Binder   (The Stainless Steel Rat)

DEC Enet:	ASD::BINDER
UUCP:		{ decvax, allegra, ucbvax... }!decwrl!asd.dec.com!binder
ARPA:		binder%asd.DEC@decwrl.ARPA

OAF.G.PELLER%OZ.AI.MIT.EDU@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU.UUCP (01/17/87)

I bought my Prometheus 1200a about 3 months ago & im very happy with it.
I paid $199 (ordered through Pinpoint) It is internal & 100% compatible
with the Smartmodem.  It even has some features of its own... auto
select, built-in speaker, busy/ring detect...

I dont know too much about the Cemetek 1200, but it sounds a lot like the
Prometheus.  Id try to stay away from the Avatex, however.  That one is
a little TOO cheap.  I think it has a lot of compatibility problems.

If you choose the Prometheus, dont order through Pinpoint.  They screwed up
the bill... I paid it 4 months ago & they're still sending me bills.

Adam Peller -- ADAMP%OZ@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU
-------