[comp.sys.apple] Autoworks/Macroworks/Appleworks/Cabbages and Kings

forde@EGLIN-VAX.ARPA (01/16/87)

Having had the chance to check out both the above add-ons to Appleworks I vote
strongly for Autoworks.  However, ther's a new kid on the block...Key Player
from those wonderful folks who brought you Pinpoint.  It's another add-on
feature for use with Pinpoint (neither Auto- nor Macro-works are compatible
with Pinpoint).  I'll be seeing a demo of this later this weekend, but I'm told
it works almost identically to Autoworks.

The 'two guys' who left Beagle Bros are Alan Bird and Glen Bredon.  Bredon also
publishes PROSEL which is a program selector for Prodos that is tailored for
hard disks or other large storage devices (ie 800K drives).  It comes packed
with other goodies as well (such as a great disk/volume recovery utility).

Lastly, for those of you thinking of or already upgraded to Appleworks 2.0,
Don Lancaster has written of some significant bugs in the version currently in
distribution.  He advises NOT to upgrade!!!  Wait until Apple gets their act
together and fixes the program.

Eric S. Ford
FORDEEGLIN-VAX.ARPA
Eglin AFB, FL
------

OAF.G.PELLER%OZ.AI.MIT.EDU@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU.UUCP (01/17/87)

KeyPlayer: Does anyone have this??

I saw it a few weeks ago, but I was a little disappointed.  It was installed
with Pinpoint & its spelling checker, and, if I switched back & forth
between Keyplayer & accessories, it would bomb with a "system error 0b".
As a software tester, I am not impressed with Pinpoint's pre-release testing..

I did get a good look at the program, however.  It has an impressive
list of commands for its macro programming language.  To program a macro,
you select "Record a macro" from the pop-up menu, type what you want, and
choose any commands (getstring, prompt) from the "control-panel".  When you
are finished, you get a file filled with little programs-one for each
macro.  And its structured- it even resembles a high-level language like Pascal.

Some things that should not be over looked: It works with several programs
other than appleworks & its the only program that is compatible with
Pinpoint desktop accessories.  As a big pinpoint fan, I am willing to
give up some of the power of Macroworks.

One thing that bothered me was you can only load in one accessory at a
time.  Since Keyplayer is an accessory, it must be loaded on startup,
and re-loaded every time you use an accessory.  This can be a real pain.
Another problem was it didnt seem to load in the macro file automatically
(I had to choose the option, type the file name, etc.).  Are there ways
to get around these problems?

Adam Peller -- ADAMP%OZ@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU

-------