[comp.sys.apple] modems etc.

LYMAN@IASSNS.BITNET (01/15/87)

Thank you to everyone who has responded to my earlier questions.  I have
in the meantime ordered a Viewmaster 80 board from Aplied Engineering
(the Sup'R'terminal board is a heat-producing monster,as well as being somewhat
flaky.  I am not sad to see it go.

Also I concede to the general consensus about Serial boards over internal modems
(especially since I have just been loaned an external modem)

My thinking on serial boards is the Applied Eng's new Serial Pro (coming out in
approx 2 weeks) which has the advantage of combining features of the Apple
Super Serial card with a clock.  Do people agree with this reasoning?

Also re software.  The consensus seems to be on Softerm 2.  Unfortunately it
lists at 195 and I haven't found it for under 160, also the three key,
"keyboard enhancement" which it includes, sounds like a kludge to me.  Is
there a cheaper distributor than I'm finding.  (Since naming names is
undoubtedly not allowed on the net, I can be reached for real at
(609) 921-7658 or 507 Fine Hall Princeton U. Princeton NJ 08544.

For the time being I'm going to order the serial card, and see if I can make
DCOM 3 and Kermit (which I got from the list archives) work for me.

Thanks for the help,

Lyman Hurd
Institute for Advanced Study

halp@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Bruce P. Halpern) (01/18/87)

Summary:Softerm 2's 3-key add-on works well (but uses a slot).

Sender:B.P. Halpern, Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior, Cornell, Ithaca

In article <8701151830.aa09922@SPARK.BRL.ARPA> LYMAN@IASSNS.BITNET writes:

>Also re software.  The consensus seems to be on Softerm 2.  Unfortunately it
>lists at 195 and I haven't found it for under 160, also the three key,
>"keyboard enhancement" which it includes, sounds like a kludge to me.  Is
>there a cheaper distributor than I'm finding.  (Since naming names is
>undoubtedly not allowed on the net, I can be reached for real at
>(609) 921-7658 or 507 Fine Hall Princeton U. Princeton NJ 08544.

The Softerm 2 three key "keyboard enhancement" is a kludge, no doubt, and does
use up an expansion slot. However, it allows a wide range of commands, including macros written by the user, to be executed by pressing one or two of the keys,
plus a regular keyboard key. I believe a version without the "enhancement"
exists for the \\c, but haven't seen it.

                        Bruce P. Halpern
                        halp@batcomputer.uuup
                        D57J@CRNLVAX5.BITNET

CC004019@BROWNVM.BITNET.UUCP (01/19/87)

Hi,
   There are several places that sell Softerm for less than $160
(about $120-130).  The ads are listed in A+.  If you want I can look
up the number for you.  Also I am using Softerm now without the
keyboard expander.  I changed a few keyboard mappings and I
eliminated the expander.  If you want I can tell you how to do that
also.

Chris
Acknowledge-To: <CC004019@BROWNVM>

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (01/20/87)

> plus a regular keyboard key. I believe a version without the "enhancement"
> exists for the \\c, but haven't seen it.

The keupad uses on the //e //c version uses the paddle buttons, alias
the open and closed Apple keys for keys 1 and 2.  To get key 3 you have
to plug a threee key pad into the 9 pin joystick port.  I use it all the
time without the keypad, you don't use key 3 very often.  For those tiomes
that you do need key three, you can write a macro to do it without the
keypad.  The keypad is not that big a deal with this version, since it
doesnt use a slot.  The //e, //e version wont work on a //+ with a joy-
stick, however, because the newer version uses the expanded memory for
a larger capture buffer.

Rick Fincher
ranger@ecsvax