[comp.sys.apple] Interrupts on the //c

paul@cacilj.UUCP (01/23/87)

Recently I've been involved in modifying a local Kermit so that the super
serial card driver will work on the //c.  This driver is interrupt-driven.
No problem.  The only problem is that even with an interrupt-driven driver,
the poor //c can't go much faster than 1200 baud!!!  (i.e. forget 2400).  I
also tried the built-in terminal (IN#2 + ^AT) firmware, and it exhibited the
same (rotten) behaviour.  Has anyone else had these problems?  I've heard that
a //e running the same driver can hit 9600 baud!!!

I know the //c interrupt firmware has a lot to do, but this is ridiculous!
I've thought about replacing the interrupt routine with my own, streamlined
routine, but haven't got around to it yet.  Anyone else tried that? (replacing
the $FFFE driver, that is)

	Thanks,

	Paul
--
	Paul Close
	paul@cacilj.UUCP

kamath@reed.UUCP (01/25/87)

In article <220@cacilj.UUCP> paul@cacilj.UUCP (Paul Close) writes:
>No problem.  The only problem is that even with an interrupt-driven driver,
>the poor //c can't go much faster than 1200 baud!!!  (i.e. forget 2400).  I
>
>	Paul Close
>	(...!{crash, gould9}!cacilj!paul)

Well, I don't know, but I'd be willing to bet that you have an older //c
that had timing problems with the ports above 1200 baud.  Apple had a
policy of exchanging motherbaords on //cs that had this problem if you
brought in the hardware (which had to include your non-apple brand
modem.)  I don't know if it's still in effect...let me check.  Let me
qualify that.

Serial Port Solutions - ODL299 Announced April 85.

"blah blah blah"
You can exchange a login board if the following conditions are met:

 - Customer shows proof of purchase of a non-apple modem; or,
 - THe problem can be duplicated with another serial device.

The Apple IIc serial port revision can be indentified by a silver
component located at location UC7 instead of a black LS161 integrated
circuit.

so, you may very well have a problem board.  I don't know the exact
serial numbers off hand, but I bet that is the problem.

Sean Kamath

UUCP:            {masscomp, decvax, allegra, psu-cs, ucbcad, ucbvax,
                  purdue, hplabs, hp-pcd, sequent, uw-beaver, ihnp4,
                  cbosgd, gatech, nsc-pdc}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET:           reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET
BITNET:          reed!kamath@Berkeley.BITNET
ARPA:            tektronix!reed!kamath@Berkeley
	         reed!kamath@hplabs
DECNET:          RHEA::DECWRL::"decvax!tektronix!reed!kamath"

US Snail:  Box 395 Reed College,
           Portland, OR  97202
           (503) 239-7458

These are not the fastest or best paths, just the easiest to use.
I hope they work. (Most notably the US Snail Service :-)