[comp.sys.apple] Apple ][ and Disk Drives

postman#@andrew.cmu.edu.UUCP (01/28/87)

ReSent-To:nntp-xmit#@andrew.cmu.edu
To: outnews#ext.nn.comp.sys.apple@andrew.cmu.edu

I recently acquired an Apple ][.  Not a plus, not an e or a c or a gs.
Old ROMs, sweet-16, boot in the monitor and all that.  What's the deal
on using floppy drives?  I have the standard Disk ][ drive and the
'new' controller card that I've been using with my Plus at home.  Can
the ][ only handle 13-sector?  And if so, can somebody forward a copy
of demuffin or finmuf or whatever the ancient 16 to 13 sector convertor
is?

							Marc Pawliger
							mp1w@andrew.cmu.edu
							mp1w@cmuccvma.bitnet

mcgurrin@MITRE.ARPA.UUCP (01/31/87)

Sorry to post this, but the return path didn't work.  16 sector disks
(DOS 3.3) work fine on a plain ][, provided the appropriate chips are on
the disk controller card.  To the best of my recollection, no motherboard
chips change with the upgrade from 3.2.1 (granted my memory is foggy,
it was a long, long time ago).  If you for some reason need to convert,
though, the program you are looking for is NIFFUM (clever, huh).

You didn't ask, but one word of warning, just because a program will run
on a ][+ with 48K doesn't mean it will run on a ][ with 64K (Applesoft
in RAM vs. ROM).  An example is SSI's Computer Quarterback and at least
some issues of Softdisk magazine.  Many companies don't even know if
their software will run on a plain ][, never the less, much will, and
there's still life in the ][ yet (even if I do plan to finally get a
new Apple (a GS) soon.  Let me know if you have any other questions...
antique users need to stick together!

keeshu@nikhefk.UUCP (Kees Huyser) (02/04/87)

In article <MS.V3.20.mp1w.80022015.stowe.ibm032.260.1@andrew.cmu.edu> mp1w#@andrew.cmu.edu (Marc Russell Pawliger) writes:

>I recently acquired an Apple ][.  Not a plus, not an e or a c or a gs.
>Old ROMs, sweet-16, boot in the monitor and all that.  What's the deal
>on using floppy drives?  I have the standard Disk ][ drive and the
>'new' controller card that I've been using with my Plus at home.  Can
>the ][ only handle 13-sector?  And if so, can somebody forward a copy
>of demuffin or finmuf or whatever the ancient 16 to 13 sector convertor
>is?
>
>							Marc Pawliger
>							mp1w@andrew.cmu.edu
>							mp1w@cmuccvma.bitnet

You can use your 'new' controller and the normal Apple ][ drives without any
problems. Disks formatted on these drives will be in 16 sector format.
The old 13 sector format was contained in the two proms on the controller;
the upgrade to 16 sector disks came with the new proms (which you have in
the 'new' controller). Be sure to use DOS 3.3 or ProDOS, as these are the
only DOS's that allow 16 sector format.

-- Kees