[comp.sys.apple] AVATEX 1200hc and the Apple //c

andre@mit-amt.UUCP (01/31/87)

	I recently bought an Avatex 1200hc to use with my Apple //c.
After working with it for about a month, I still have yet to figure
out how to make it work.  I am using an older //c (i.e. with the
16k ROM instead of the newer one) with AE Pro (version 4.20).  I pinned
my own cable as follows (I found this in this newsgroup):

Apple IIC Pin number            Name            RS232 Pin number
(5-pin DIN)
-------------------            -----            ---------------
        1                      DTR                    20
        2                      TD                      2
        3                      GND                     7
        4                      RD                      3
        5                      DSR                     6

If anyone has (or knows of anyone who has) gotten the avatex 1200hc
to work with an Apple //c, *please* let me know what is involved in
making them work together (e.g. set-up in AE Pro, dip switch settings,
modem behavior, etc.).

	Thanks in advance.

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (02/03/87)

In article <661@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>, andre@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Andre DeHon) writes:

> out how to make it work.  I am using an older //c (i.e. with the
I have used that modem on a //c without problem.  You probably need the
motherboard upgrade.  The early //c's had a hardware bug that wouldn't
let them work with some (most) third party 1200 baud modems.  The
upgrade is free, take the //c to any Apple dealer and tell them you have
a modem that won't work because of the problem, and they will upgrade
the system.  If you are lucky you will get the 3.5 inch drivers (32K ROM)
as well, maybe even the new motherboard with a memory card slot.

I used the modem with an Apple modem cable and Softerm and Apple Access
without any problem.

Rick Fincher
ranger@ecsvax

terry2@ihlpa.UUCP (02/05/87)

> 	I recently bought an Avatex 1200hc to use with my Apple //c.
> After working with it for about a month, I still have yet to figure
> out how to make it work.  I am using an older //c (i.e. with the
> 16k ROM instead of the newer one) with AE Pro (version 4.20).  ...
Very early models did have problems with the clock speed on the serial
modem port.  If your IIC is one of these early machines, take it to
any authorized Apple dealer.  They are authorized to make a mother-board
swap at no charge.  It doesn't matter if your warrenty has expired.
--
..ihnp4!ihlpa!terry2   ****   Terry Nelson   ****   "All this is
  GEnie Mail: Terry2   * AT&T Bell Laboratories *   because of me