[comp.sys.apple] Help. I need a II+ keyboard

moore@mit-eddie.UUCP (02/05/87)

.
   The keyboard on my Apple II+ is acting funny.  I type characters, and
the wrong characters come out.  It looks like the decoder is messed up.
Do I need a new ROM of some sort, or completely new keyboard circuitry?
If anyone has a spare keyboard (not necessarily the keys; all I need is
the circuitry, or possible just a new decoder), please contact me.
Thanks.

-drew
 arpa: MOORE%MIT-EECS@MIT-MC.ARPA
 uucp: ...mit-eddie!moore
   us: Box 121, North Quincy, MA  02171

Damouth.wbst@XEROX.COM.UUCP (02/10/87)

There are two basically different II+ keyboards - the old original and
the so-called "two-piece" keyboard.  The latter has all the logic chips
on a small second pc board which is attached loosely to the back of the
pc board on which the keys are mounted.

If you have the old one-piece keyboard, forget it.  The decoder chip is
long out of production and is no longer available unless you are lucky
and find one in somebody's bottom drawer.  for a while, Apple was
offering a good trade-in deal in which authorized dealers would swap a
new keyboard for an old for about $40.  this was a couple of years ago,
but you might ask some questions and see if you can talk someone into
this.

The newer keyboard has a more conventional decoder and you might
actually be able to buy a replacement chip.  Call a couple of apple
repair shops, get connected to their head repair person, and ask some
questions.  I don't think it is a unique apple part, and one of the
hardware gurus may know where you can buy it cheaper from a parts
distributor.

/Dave

iadt3tb@gitpyr.UUCP (02/14/87)

In article <4742@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU> moore@eddie.MIT.EDU (Andrew M. Moore) writes:
>   The keyboard on my Apple II+ is acting funny.  I type characters, and
>Do I need a new ROM of some sort, or completely new keyboard circuitry?

I don't know enough about the circuitry, etc. to say whether or not you need
a new keyboard but if you decide to go that way the company listed below
supplied a replacement keyboard with good features (some "function key"
capability, and shift key mod built in) to my nephew.  It seems to work
fine and was $49.95 with 6.00 for shipping/handling.

             JDR Microdevices
             110 Knowles Dr.
             Los Gatos, Ca. 95030
             (408) 866-6200

Part-no "KEYBOARD-AP"; description "E04D APPLE COMPATIBLE KEYBOARD"

(usual disclaimers)

T. Terrell Banks
Georgia Insitute of Technology
Information Systems and Applications
190 Third Street NW
Atlanta Georgia, 30332

Internet: iadt3tb@pyr.gatech.edu
    uucp: ...!{akgua,ihnp4,hplabs,seismo}!gatech!gitpyr!iadt3tb
  Bitnet: iadt3tb@gitvm1