[comp.sys.apple] Dos-Prodos conversion problem.

XYODA@ECNCDC.BITNET.UUCP (02/21/87)

I was wondering if anyone has had a problem converting from ProDos to
DOS 3.3 using the ProDos conversion program, that comes with the
ProDos users disk.   I have written alot of assembly using Appleworks
and then print the file to disk as an ASCII file, and then convert this
file to DOS 3.3 so I can use it with my Lisa 2.6 assembler.   Here is the
rub:  When the file is of moderate size, say 20K or so, the file conversion,
works correctly.  But bigger files of 40K for instance do not copy correctly
even though the conversion program says everything is fine.  When I try
to verify the file on the DOS 3.3 disk, I get verify errors, and cannot
read the file from my assembler.  The funny thing is that the first parts
of the file are fine and can be read, however somewhere near the last
1/3 of the program the file is suddenly usable?   Has anyone else had
this problem?   Does anyone know of a fix for it?  It would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

              Jim Thomas...

ADDRESS:   XYODA@ECNCDC.BITNET

       'may the force be with you always....'

schumann@puff.UUCP (02/24/87)

In article <8702211434.aa01572@SPARK.BRL.ARPA>, XYODA@ECNCDC.BITNET writes:
> ...  The funny thing is that the first parts
> of the file are fine and can be read, however somewhere near the last
> 1/3 of the program the file is suddenly usable?  Has anyone else had
> this problem?
Yes.  The problem is in the file conversion program.  It will not deal
correctly with files over 32767 bytes in length.  I believe this is because
DOS 3.3 is not supposed to deal with these large files, but yet it can.
> Does anyone know of a fix for it?  It would be appreciated.
A fix?  Use something else. No really! Copy II Plus (6.5 or later) works
great with both OS's.  If you have a //c you might try the //c System
Utilities disk that came with it, or can be gotten at an Apple dealer.
> Thanks in advance.
>               Jim Thomas...

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (02/24/87)

I had the same problem with the Prodos Filer not properly copying large fi
files.  Use a later version of the filer to get one that works properly.
Your Apple dealer should have a new version that he can give you for free.

Rick Fincher
ranger@ecsvax