[comp.sys.apple] Tech help on Prodos Needed

god3@sphinx.UUCP (02/21/87)

I am looking for technical info on the Prodos operating system.
Manuals (I already have Apple's Tech man and Beneath Apple Prodos)
and utility software suggestions appreciated.

The reason I am in need of this info is that I am attempting
to program some modifications to the operating system to make
it more user-friendly and powerful,... more like MS-dos maybe...

One thing about Prodos which I detest is the fact that upon exiting
software you are forced to specify a pathname for a new application.

I would prefer being dumped into BASIC...

such limitations of Prodos are what I am attempting to modify
via re-programming the system.  Any recommendations of Dos-Boss
like software for Prodos welcome.

--
Peter Godwin                   |      ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!god3
Univ. of Chicago Comp Ctr      |      x9.xpg@uchicago

schumann@puff.UUCP (02/22/87)

god3@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Peter Godwin) writes:
> I am looking for technical info on the Prodos operating system.
> Manuals (I already have Apple's Tech man and Beneath Apple Prodos)
> and utility software suggestions appreciated.
Both manuals are excellent sources of information.  Also look in past and
present issues of _Nibble_.  They have a column in which the author is
dissassembling ProDOS piece by piece.  Actually, he is dissassembling the
BASIC interpreter.  Read on.

> The reason I am in need of this info is that I am attempting
> to program some modifications to the operating system to make
> it more user-friendly and powerful,...
Not too hard: ProDOS itself has NO user interface, that's what BASIC.SYSTEM
is for.  It takes commands like CAT, LOAD, etc into ProDOS calls (like
GET_FILE_INFO).

> One thing about Prodos which I detest is the fact that upon exiting
> software you are forced to specify a pathname for a new application.
> I would prefer being dumped into BASIC...
with no user interface to DOS!  If you want BASIC, run BASIC.SYSTEM
One can get (or make) a program to replace ProDOS' QUIT code (the ENTER
PREFIX stuff) with a nice menu selection scheme, to choose the next SYS
file to execute.

> such limitations of Prodos are what I am attempting to modify
> via re-programming the system.  Any recommendations of Dos-Boss
> like software for Prodos welcome.
If am almost sure _Nibble_ has a DOS BOSS simile in it for B.SYS somewhere,
If not, it's easy to find the commands, however, the error messages are
stored in coded strings (four bits/char with char lookup).
Also get ProDOS Examples disk from Apple, and the ProDOS Applesoft
Programmers Assistant (adds renumber, merge and cross ref).
If you want a MON command (no, it's not there), I wrote one, and
might be convinced to part with it.

Chris Schumann				schumann@puff.wisc.edu

john@viper.UUCP (02/25/87)

I would highly recommend getting a copy of the ProDos version of Copy 2+.
It's one of the most useful disk/file management tools available and is
very easy to use.

---
John Stanley (john@viper.UUCP)
Software Consultant - DynaSoft Systems
UUCP: ...{amdahl,ihnp4,rutgers}!{meccts,dayton}!viper!john