[comp.sys.apple] 6502 timing, ProLoss conversion

kamath@reed.UUCP (02/26/87)

In article <8702231546.aa00774@SPARK.BRL.ARPA> ACTS5%VAXSWD@rca.com writes:

>I recently bought Chess Master 2000 for the APPLE and it
>plays pretty good.
>I have two wins and two draws against the program
>which (for me) should be par for the course (I have a USCF
>rating of 2213).

Impressive.

>                 My only complaints are that the program
>is copy protected so it can't be customized,  the games
>can be saved to diskette but in a format unknown to dos 3.3
>so the games cannot be analyzed more than one at a time.

This really sucks.  Maybe I should think twice about getting.

I read a review that said it had beaten a Cray 1 running Cube software. It
did not say which version, however.

> [deleted stuff]

>speeking of speed...  Does anyone know offhand how fast
>6502 instructions (as in ][+) take in microseconds?
>I believe that ][+'s have a 2 Mhz clock with half the
>time going to refresh the screen.

It runs at 1 MHz.

>The question comes out of comparison between clones and
>apples.  I have heard that Mhz aren't the whole story
>because a ][+ is much faster that a 4Mhz TRS-80.
>(of course I would understand if the apple had troubles
>since it only has one accumilator.)

This is very true.  There was a discussion here earlier about
piplining in microporcessor design. Also, in a book called
"Programming the 65816" there is a discussion of what piplining is
and why it makes a processor like the 6502 run at appearent speed
about 2-4 times clock speed.  That is, a 6502 with a 1 MHz clock
seems to run at the same speed as a Z80 at 4 MHz.  Get the book.
It's really a nice one.

>         Craig (6502 maniac) Roll
>
>(has anyone noticed that the mini-assembler is at f666?
>is the 6502 the beast?)

The miniassembler is a product of the old monitor.  When you boot up
the DOS 3.3 master, type int, call -151, F666G you are in the old
monitor. the NEW //c and enhanced //e ROMs also have it. To get into
it, you just type '!' and to get out you type (cr). However, they do
not support the 65C02 opcodes.  And there is still no step and trace.

Also, there is a serious problem with convert.  So, use "copy files"
from the utilities disk (proloss).  This will allow you to "copy"
files from DOS 3.3 to ProDOS.  Interesting, huh?  and it only take
one drive.  But I do agree that copy ][+ is the way to go.

Sean Kamath
kamath@reed.edu.UUCP

tektronix!reed!kamath