[comp.sys.apple] Simple Question on 'I' programs

wjc@mtuxo.UUCP (02/27/87)

OK, so I'm a real novice at this apple stuff.  I only use
Appleworks and play games.  I bought some game disks from the
Big Red Apple Club.  Unfortunately most of them show up (in the
CATALOG command) as type 'I', not 'A' or 'B'.  So how do I get them
to run?  RUN works for 'A', BRUN works for 'B', ?? works for 'I'?

 - confused.     (Bill Cambre)  {ihnp4!}mtuxo!wjc

sdh@thumper.UUCP (02/27/87)

In article <2530@mtuxo.UUCP>, wjc@mtuxo.UUCP (w.cambre) writes:
> 			Unfortunately most of them show up (in the
> CATALOG command) as type 'I', not 'A' or 'B'.  So how do I get them
> to run?  RUN works for 'A', BRUN works for 'B', ?? works for 'I'?
>  - confused.     (Bill Cambre)  {ihnp4!}mtuxo!wjc

I stands for Integer Basic.   Some of us remember when that's all the Apple ][
had to offer in the way of high (ha-ha) level programming languages.  In
order to run integer basic programs you will need either an Integer Basic
Firmware card, replace your applesoft ROMs with Integer Basic ROMs, or
a 16K ram card.  If you boot the DOS 3.3 system master, it should
automatically load Integer basic into the Ramcard, and allow you to run
those programs.

To see if you have it installed, just type 'INT' and the prompt should
change from ']' to '>'.

Retief of the CDT

rhr@osupyr.UUCP (02/27/87)

In article <2530@mtuxo.UUCP> wjc@mtuxo.UUCP (w.cambre) writes:
>OK, so I'm a real novice at this apple stuff.  I only use
>Appleworks and play games.  I bought some game disks from the
>Big Red Apple Club.  Unfortunately most of them show up (in the
>CATALOG command) as type 'I', not 'A' or 'B'.  So how do I get them
>to run?  RUN works for 'A', BRUN works for 'B', ?? works for 'I'?
>
> - confused.     (Bill Cambre)  {ihnp4!}mtuxo!wjc

Unfortunately, you have happened upon the original version of BASIC that
the Apple series began with. Its called Integer BASIC, and can be found
on the Apple II+ system master disk. Someone might want to post the
file for you. The reason that much of these games are written in Integer
BASIC is because it is faster the built- in Microsoft BASIC interpreter
in the II+,IIe, and IIc.

   Good luck in finding a copy of Integer BASIC.

--

  Gaelan the Slightly Confused, Duke of the Plaeides and Lesser Hernias

  "Oh, if I would have done nothing out of laziness,
   how I would have respected my myself then."
				-Fyodor Dostoevsky