[comp.sys.apple] forwarding

CC004019@BROWNVM.BITNET (Christopher Chung) (03/17/87)

Date: Thu, 12 Mar 87 17:22:23 PST
From: seismo!scubed!pnet01!bblue%harvard@harvunxw.BITNET (Bill Blue)
To: !brownvm:crash!cc004019
Subject: Re: Ascii Express
Cc: crash!s.d-reuben%kla.weslyn@wesleyan.bitnet

>Date: Wed 11 Mar 87 03:03:38-EST  <posted Wed, 11 Mar 87 19:17:19 PST>
>From: Doug Reuben <crash!wiscvm.wisc.edu!nosc!S.D-REUBEN%KLA.WESLYN%WESLEYAN.BI
TNET>
>Subject: Ascii Express
>To: INFO-APPLE@BRL.ARPA
>

>Hi there!
>
>I have a US Robotics Courier 2400 modem, and a Super Serial Card. I use this
>with Ascii Express to for my communication needs.
>
>I used to own an internal Apple Cat modem, which AE worked with nicely.
>
>However, when I use AE with my Courier, I am always left in the "AE: TERM-->"
>mode, and have to type an "escape sequence" (control-Q) to issue a command to
>AE. Personally, this suits me just fine, and is not a problem for me; however,
>I have been told that there is a way to set AE (via some selection in Install)
>to treat the serial card/external modem as an "internal" one, and therefore
>not requiring me to hit control-Q
>to issue a command.
>
>If anyone knows if this is possible, and if so, how to do it, please respond
>to:
>
>CC004019@BROWNVM.BITNET (Chris)
>
>(I'm just typing this up for him...)
>
>Thanks,
>
>-Doug
>
>-------
Sorry, that rumor is not true.  An external modem is an external modem.
AE Pro does not know how to operate it as an internal modem (utilizing the
D and H commands).  You can, however, automate dialing and hang up in macro
sequences and end up with it doing more than even the D and H commands
afforded.  There are examples of how to do this in the manual and macro
file examples on disk.

I assume you are a legal owner.  If not, don't bother to reply.

Our new product, ASCII Express MouseTalk, for the //e, //c and GS uses a
Macintosh-like environment with pulldown windows and mouse control, and does
talk to all modems, including external ascii-controlled ones, in the same
manner so that you use all the standard commands.

I'll be happy to answer further questions about either product if you have
any.

--Bill Blue, United Software Industries, Inc.

        UUCP: akgua, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc!crash!pnet01!bblue
        ARPA: crash!pnet01!bblue@nosc
        INET: bblue@pnet01.CTS.COM