[comp.sys.apple] enhancing //e

BGABLER@LOYVAX.BITNET.UUCP (04/05/87)

I have an unenhanced //e, and I am going to get an upgrade on
memory.  Do I need to get a new chip put on my motherboard to use
say a extended 80-col board?   How is the enhanced version of the
motherboard different?  Is the only difference, that it has mouse
characters in the ROM?  Help!   Also Does anyone know of a good
mail order company that I can get a Hayes compatible 1200 baud modem
for under $170 ?

      Barry Gabler
      (BGABLER@LOYVAX)

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (04/06/87)

The upgrade includes  4 chips that go into your existing motherboard.
They are: 65C02 to replace 6502, New character generator ROM that adds
mousetext, New CD and EF ROM chips that speed up screen handling add
mini assembler to ROM, improve interrupt and bank switched memory
support.  All you do is change the 4 chips.

For a good 1200 baud modem, try 1-800-FLOPPYS (toll free phone number).
They have the Smarteam 1200 baud Hayes compatible modem, cable and
software for $125.  The SmarTeam modem is Hayes compatible, has a speaker
and is reliable.  The software is the old Dos 3.3 based Data Capture.
You can get the modem alone for $75 buy a cable for $25 and use Kermit.
For less than $100.

Rick Fincher
ranger@ecsvax

a228arig@cdfb.utoronto.UUCP (04/07/87)

> I have an unenhanced //e, and I am going to get an upgrade on
> memory.  Do I need to get a new chip put on my motherboard to use
> say a extended 80-col board?

No, you need to motherboard hardware changes to use the extended 80 col.
card.  You may need to run a jumper on the 80 col. card to use Double
hi-res graphics though.

> How is the enhanced version of the
> motherboard different?  Is the only difference, that it has mouse
> characters in the ROM?

The character set is part of the difference.  There is no motherboard
difference, but the differences are as follows.

1: The CPU. The unenhanced has the plain 6502, and the enhanced has the
   CMOS version, 65C02.  The 65C02 has some extra instructions that the
   6502 doesn't have, as well as a few bug-fixes.  I think that it also
   runs cooler and faster.  You can easily replace the 6502 with the
   65C02 with no problems, inyour //e.

2. The firmware.  The boot ROMs, as well as other parts of the ROM is different
   .  That means that there are incompatibilities.  Some software runs on the
   old version of the ROMs only, while others required the enhanced ROMs.
   So, it's a trade off there.

3. The character Generator ROM.  That is what makes the character set
   different.  The enhanced has Mousetext characters in lieu of some
   inverse characters.

So, it's basically a trade off...  compatibility with older software, or
newer software.  Actually, a friend of mine burned his own EPROMs and
put a switch in to allow him to switch back and forth between enhanced
and unenhanced //e.  Worked very well too, so you CAN have the best of
both worlds...

--Tak

UUCP:     {utzoo, decvax, ihnp4, cbosgd, utcsri, mnetor}!utgpu!utcdfa!a228arig
ARPAnet:  a228arig%cdfa.toronto.edu@relay.cs.net
CSnet:    a228arig%cdfa.toronto.edu
BITNET:   utoronto%"a228arig@cdfa.utoronto"     (<- with some luck)
                                        (or better yet, mail through CSnet)
==  University of Toronto -- Toronto, Canada  ==

prince@ucla-cs.UUCP (04/07/87)

In article <2866@ecsvax.UUCP> ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) writes:

>For a good 1200 baud modem, try 1-800-FLOPPYS (toll free phone number).
>They have the Smarteam 1200 baud Hayes compatible modem, cable and
>software for $125.  The SmarTeam modem is Hayes compatible, has a speaker
>and is reliable.  The software is the old Dos 3.3 based Data Capture.
>You can get the modem alone for $75 buy a cable for $25 and use Kermit.
>For less than $100.

I just called them, and was quoted $129.95 for the complete package, and
$120 for the modem by itself.  Still a good price...

 |                  UCLA Computer Science Department                       |
 | -- Larry         3413 Boelter Hall   Los Angeles 90024  (213) 825-2145  |
 |       Prince     UUCP:     {ucbvax,ihnp4,sdcrdcf}!ucla-cs!prince        |
 |                  ARPAnet:  prince@CS.UCLA.EDU                           |
 |_________________________________________________________________________|

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (04/08/87)

> >For a good 1200 baud modem, try 1-800-FLOPPYS (toll free phone number).
> >They have the Smarteam 1200 baud Hayes compatible modem, cable and
> >software for $125.  The SmarTeam modem is Hayes compatible, has a speaker
> >and is reliable.  The software is the old Dos 3.3 based Data Capture.
> >You can get the modem alone for $75 buy a cable for $25 and use Kermit.
> >For less than $100.
> >

> I just called them, and was quoted $129.95 for the complete package, and
> $120 for the modem by itself.  Still a good price...
>
>   _________________________________________________________________________

I think the prices I quoted were from a limited time promotion.  I got
a flyer in the mail from them (I had bought some disks from them before)
that listed prices in that ballpark.  Still 129.95 is a good price, considering
that you get the cable for $9.95 and some outdated software for free.  I
have used both this modem and the Avatex 1200.  Some impressions:  The
Avatex has two modular phone jacks the SmarTeam only one (you can buy a
Y adapter for about $5.00 at Radio Shack)OC, but it has no speaker and a
plastic case and is not 100% compatible (but compatible enough for most
uses).  The Smarteam has a metal case and a speaker with volume control,
is 100% compatible (as far as I can tell) but is $20 to $30 more than the
Avatex.  Both seem to be of good quality and work well.

Rick Fincher

ranger@ecsvax