[comp.sys.apple] APW and other stuff

news@think.UUCP (news) (04/13/87)

------
I have a couple of questions.
From: whitney@think.uucp (David Whitney)

First, I've seen lots of discussions where the Apple Programmers Workshop
is mentioned ("..and if you have the APW, you can do xyzzy..."). How do I
get a copy of the APW? I've called my local Apple dealer, and he said,
"it doesn't officially exist  yet. You'll have to get it through Apple."
He also said I'd have to be an authorized developer to get it. I'm not a
developer. Does that I can't get a copy at all?

Next question:

Real Modem Program Programmers Don't Use The Firmware. They get right down
on the bare metal and use the serial chip directly. On the Apple //c, this was
easy because it was documented. On the //GS, it's hard because it's not
documented.

I'm working on a modem program that I started on the //c. It works fine on a
//c.  I recently bought a //GS and lo and behold: it doesn't work. That's
because Apple went and put in new serial chip. Does anyone know how to use
the serial chip directly? I have the McGraw/Hill Technical intro to the //GS,
and although informative, it's very vague. I can't find any *real* information
on using the SCC.

Thanks in advance for any  help. Please mail directly to me as I don't get to
read the news very often. If you have any clue at all as to answering either
question, PLEASE don't hesitate to answer!

		David Whitney
		whitney@zarathustra.think.com
		whitney@godot.think.com
		...!ihnp4!godot!whitney

ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (04/20/87)

In article <3624@think.UUCP> whitney@godot.think.com.UUCP (David Whitney) writes:
>Next question:
>
>Real Modem Program Programmers Don't Use The Firmware. They get right down
>on the bare metal and use the serial chip directly. On the Apple //c, this was
>easy because it was documented. On the //GS, it's hard because it's not
>documented.
Apple probably hasn't documented because they want you to use the firmware.
The only reasons not to are speed and functionality - Apple and hardware
developers should be able to provide both.

If Apple doesn't provide a needed feature (like sending BREAK, for example)
in Firmware, let them know how to do it right. [Apple provides for CONTROL
and INTERRUPT entry points in newer firmware, firmware developers should agree
on what the byte-size command for 'send BREAK' is.  Apple needs to provide
some guidance in this area.]
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Copyright (c) 1987 by Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.
Internet: ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412)268-{2847,3275} CMU-{BUGS,DARK}
AX25: N3FGW@KA3ORW (AX25), or just c/o W3VC, CMU Radio Club, Pittsburgh, PA