[comp.sys.apple] Help Prodos bug and fix

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (04/24/87)

In article <8704220543.aa00402@SPARK.BRL.ARPA> LB0POPER@MIAMIU.BITNET writes:
>I have an Apple //C that I've had for 2.5 years and I recently have come
>up with a couple of simple mechanical problems, one of which I hope can
>be solved by someone out here without much difficulty.  My external 5.25
>drive has recently gone out of wack and occassionally messes up a prodos
>catalog (which kills the disk).  I feel that, since I haven't had to do
>any work on my Apple, the problem is probably simple.  Does anyone know
>how to aligh disk drives easily.
>
>Thanks a lot
>
>Lonny at      LB0POPER@BITNET

Disk head alignment is no mean feat.  TO be done correctly to need a
scope, a special disk made my Dysan called the Digital Diagnostics
Diskette (which CANNOT be copied except with special hardware and costs
somewher in the neighborhood of $75 for dealers) and an alignment guide.
However, it might not be your alignment.

If you are having problems only with Prodos, there is a major bug in
Prodos, that eats directories.  Originally thought to be power supply
problems, it turns out that proloss leaves the disk in write mode at
certain times.  this means that while the disk is spinning up to speed,
it might actually be trashing whatever is flying underneath.  This is
usually the directory.

I'm not entirely sure which version of prodos this patch is for, but is
shouldn't be hard to find in any version.

BLOAD PRODOS,TSYS,A$2000
UNLOCK PORDOS
CALL -151
[Look for this sequence...

9D 80 C0   STA $C080,X
9D 80 C0   STA $C080,X
9D 84 C0   STA $C084,X
9D 86 C0   STA $C086,X

replace the 9D's with BD's.]

BSAVE PRODOS,TSYS,A$2000,L14848

in one version of prodos it's at $56D3.

Sean Kamath

UUCP:            {masscomp, decvax, allegra, psu-cs, ucbcad, ucbvax,
                  purdue, hplabs, hp-pcd, sequent, uw-beaver, ihnp4,
                  cbosgd, gatech, nsc-pdc}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET:           reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET
BITNET:          reed!kamath@Berkeley.BITNET
ARPA:            tektronix!reed!kamath@Berkeley
	         reed!kamath@hplabs
DECNET:          RHEA::DECWRL::"decvax!tektronix!reed!kamath"

US Snail:  Box 395 Reed College,
           Portland, OR  97202
           (503) 239-7458

These are not the fastest or best paths, just the easiest to use.
I hope they work. (Most notably the US Snail Service :-)