[comp.sys.apple] Stuff about Binary II and The EXECUTIONER

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (04/25/87)

In article <8704240913.aa08738@SPARK.BRL.ARPA> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET writes:
>I've found it is possible to transfer files from DOS 3.3 to ProDOS,
>convert them to an Apple II binary file, transfer that file back
>to DOS 3.3, upload it, download it with a DOS 3.3 comm program,
>transfer it back to ProDOS, extract the files, copy them back to
>DOS 3.3 and have them work.  Obviously that is NOT an elegant solution.

ug!  I tried that, and it workedm, but it sucks.

>Actually, I usually do the up/down loads from ProDOS format.  I've
>also found that if the file downloaded to DOS 3.3 is stored as "T,"
>then it may not copy correctly to ProDOS.

If you use FILER then you should never bother with CONVERT.  I always
just copy from one disk to another.  Sounds wierd?  Just put a dos 3.3
disk in drive one, a Prodos disk in 2, go into <COPY> select <SOME> and
off it goes!  I haven't had any problems with any files *yet*, but I
don't do a lot of stuff in Prodos.

>Clearly it would be MUCH easier to have the TO and FROM A2B programs
>in DOS 3.3.  I note that there is an "operating system" byte in the
>header, but I don't know that Gary's program does anything with it
>at the moment.
>
>If you do write DOS 3.3 programs, there is a potential problem
>differentiating between DOS & ProDOS A2B files.  Hence, it seems to
>me that it would make sense for a DOS 3.3 program to write a ProDOS
>header (what would be written by CONVERT for a DOS 3.3 file transferred
>to ProDOS) and read ProDOS A2B format.  In short, insofar as the header
>is concerned, it probably would make sense for a DOS version to mimic
>the way the ProDOS version plus CONVERT would handle the files.

I don't have the PD programs, and would like them very much.  However,
see below

>I assume you have Little's public domain ProDOS Applesoft programs.
>If not, let me know and I'll send them to you - the easy way to write
>a DOS version is to cannabalize the ProDOS right?

>On a similar subject.  Any chance of making a DOS version of that nice
>EXECUTIONER program that makes packed EXEC files?  It seems to me that
>A2B is not going to be entirely effective as a way of moving software on
>the nets, but text files that are only about 45% larger than the original
>files aren't bad at all, especially since you don't need the EXECUTIONER
>program itself to successfully unpack.

I pretty much am unenthused with prodos, but I finally broke down
yesterday and bought the Prodos Technical Reference (ouch!).  The reason
is pretty simple.  I am in the process of converting the EXECUTIONER to
Dos 3.3.  The really nice thing about this format is, as far as I have
discovered, if you exec the file in dos 3.3 it still seems to unpack
correctly.  So, I have gotten to the point where I think I will save
Binary II for direct apple-apple or at least hosts that can deal with
it.  I suppose if I have a buch of files to send, I might use B2 and
then the EXECUTIONER, but I think that I might further modify the
EXECUTIONER to handle multiple file.

At this time, I have only gotten the EXECUTIONER downloaded and
dissassembled, I haven't actually started converting.  I think it will
be easiest to create a fake "MLI" interface to RWTS or the file manager,
so I won't really modify the program, just trick it into thinking it is
dealing with Prodos.  If I get rambuncious, I will create multiple file
formats.

Sean Kamath

kamath@reed.UUCP
{your favourite backbone or esoteric route to}!tektronix!reed!kamath

P.S.  About the clawing and stuff:  I hope so.  While I did not do any
clawing, it is not for lack of enthusiasm.  Rather, I had no idea when I
came to Reed that there was such a thing as "the Net". Well.  Now I know
better.

P.P.S.  Finals are in three weeks, which means the last week of classes
is next week.  I might be a few days before I can do all this :-)