[comp.sys.apple] hooking up a LaserWriter

mdavis@hp-sdd.UUCP (Morgan Davis) (04/24/87)

You can connect a LaserWriter to any computer which has an RS-232 port in
order to treat the printer as if it was just a letter-quality printing device.
You won't have control over the type faces that you can use; you're limited to
Courier, I believe.

All it takes is an RS-232 cable with DB-25 connectors on the ends.

UUCP: [ ihnp4 akgua hplabs!hp-sdd sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!pnet01!pro-sol!mdavis
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!mdavis@nosc
INET: mdavis@pro-sol.CTS.COM

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (04/28/87)

In article <8704242142.AA00560@crash.CTS.COM>, mdavis@hp-sdd.UUCP (Morgan Davis) writes:
> You can connect a LaserWriter to any computer which has an RS-232 port in
> order to treat the printer as if it was just a letter-quality printing device.
> You won't have control over the type faces that you can use; you're limited to
> Courier, I believe.
>
> All it takes is an RS-232 cable with DB-25 connectors on the ends.

This is assuming you want to use the Diablo emulation mode.  You can
also send Postscript programs to the Laserwriter.  You can send a Postscript
header, your file and a PS trailer to have it print you file in any manner
that the printer is capable of supporting.  I have some 256x256x 32 grey
level digitized photos that a fellow printed on a Laserwriter by writing
a header, sending a hex dump of the picture and sending a trailer.  The
quality is amazing, especially for 256x256.  He uses this format because
he does a lot of Fourrier transforms on his images and the floating point
math to change the aspect ratio etc takes too long.  Square pixels let him
work in integer.  All this was done on an Apple // by the way.

Rick Fincher
ranger@ecsvax