[comp.sys.apple] converting Apple text files

Rankins@DOCKMASTER.ARPA (04/22/87)

Apple Assembly, or Apple Pascal files?  Specifically, I have 2 programs
I am trying to download and run on my IIe.  The first is a program
written in 6502 Assembly language.  I can get it to my Apple as a text
file, but I can't figure out how to assemble it in order to run it.
When I try to bring it into the assembler, I get an improper file type
error.  Does anyone know what I need to do in order to assemble this
program?  The second program is written in Apple Pascal.  Does anyone
know how I can convert the DOS (or PRODOS) text files into Pascal files
on a Pascal formatted disk so that I can compile them?

Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated (and save me any
further aggravation).  You can respond to this forum or send a response
to Rankins@dockmaster.arpa.

                                        Thanks in advance,
                                        Ray Rankins

Rankins@DOCKMASTER.ARPA (04/22/87)

Does anyone know how to convert DOS or PRODOS text files to Applesoft,
Apple Assembly, or Apple Pascal files?  Specifically, I have 2 programs
I am trying to download and run on my IIe.  The first is a program
written in 6502 Assembly language.  I can get it to my Apple as a text
file, but I can't figure out how to assemble it in order to run it.
When I try to bring it into the assembler, I get an improper file type
error.  Does anyone know what I need to do in order to assemble this
program?  The second program is written in Apple Pascal.  Does anyone
know how I can convert the DOS (or PRODOS) text files into Pascal files
on a Pascal formatted disk so that I can compile them?

Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated (and save me any
further aggravation).  You can respond to this forum or send a response
to Rankins@dockmaster.arpa.

                                        Thanks in advance,
                                        Ray Rankins

BGABLER@LOYVAX.BITNET (04/22/87)

   If the assembler text file is in this form:

   CALL -151
   15E3: 00 3E 2F 76 2A 8B
   15E9: 01 20

   etc.....

   Then you can just exec it into memory, but make sure that at the
   beginning it has a CALL -151 and at the end it has a
   BSAVE name,A$starting address,L$Length

   If it is a text file for an assembler like the ones that use comments
   and dot commands then it should accept a regular text file.

  As for Pascal.......  if you are using AE PRO, the system disk
  has some utilities on it to convert from TEXT --> PASCAL and
  from PASCAL --> TEXT.    It also does CPM conversions.  If you don't
  have access to AE PRO, then I don't know how else you could do it.

     Barry Gabler (BGABLER@LOYVAX.BITNET)

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (04/24/87)

For converting between the various Apple formats, and especially from Apple
Pascal to ProDos, UNIVERSAL FILE CONVERSION, written by Gary Charpentier,
and published by Quality Software, is excellent. I have not used it on a ][gs,
but it works fine on ][e and ][c.

denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (04/24/87)

in article <8704221751.aa02827@SPARK.BRL.ARPA>, BGABLER@LOYVAX.BITNET says:

>    If the assembler text file is in this form:
>
>    CALL -151
>    15E3: 00 3E 2F 76 2A 8B
>    15E9: 01 20

I apologize for being picky, but this is machine language, not assembly.
Assembly goes into the assembler and machine comes out.

>   As for Pascal.......  if you are using AE PRO, the system disk
>   has some utilities on it to convert from TEXT --> PASCAL and
>   from PASCAL --> TEXT.    It also does CPM conversions.  If you don't
>   have access to AE PRO, then I don't know how else you could do it.

All versions of softerm are capable of converting between DOS, CPM and PASCAL.
I have used it to convert between DOS and PASCAL on rare occasions and it is
a minor pain to use.  Rumor has it that they will be adding ProDOS
compatability.  I will not use it for proDOS/DOS conversions, however, as I
really like Copy][+.
---
Wiliam C. DenBesten           |CSNET denbeste@research1.bgsu.edu
Dept of Computer Science      |ARPA  denbeste%research1.bgsu.edu@csnet-relay
Bowling Green State University|UUCP  ...!cbatt!osu-eddie!bgsuvax!denbeste
Bowling Green, OH 43403-0214  |
------------------------------+----------------------------------------------
There is no difference between theory and practice in theory, but there is
often a great deal of difference between theory and practice in practice.

nu092254@ndsuvm1.bitnet.UUCP (04/27/87)

>From: halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern")

>Subject: Re:  converting Apple text files
>For converting between the various Apple formats, and especially from Apple
>Pascal to ProDos, UNIVERSAL FILE CONVERSION, written by Gary Charpentier,
>and published by Quality Software, is excellent.

I believe AE pro comes with a utility for doing file conversions including
pascal and cp/m.  I used it on the Dos 3.3 version quite a bit.  Haven't
checked if the convert program comes with the ProDos version of AE pro or
with the mousetalk version (which I haven't seen).

       take care,
                                     -Bri

Brian Dall        |                           |"It is dangerous to tell
PO Box 5112       |  NU092254@NDSUVM1.BITNET  | the people that laws are
NDSU Station      |                           | not just. . . ."
Fargo, ND  58105  |                           |  -Blaise Pascal

BGABLER@LOYVAX.BITNET (04/28/87)

   Brian,  you are correct about AE Pro having those conversion files.
  I have the ProDos version and these same utilities are included with
   it also.

                     Barry Gabler