[comp.sys.apple] transfering Apple Pascal Text files to Mac?

dcn@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Dave Newkirk) (04/28/87)

My brother is considering upgrading from an old Apple II+ to a Mac, but is
concerned about trying to transfer several 5 1/4" disks worth of Apple
Pascal text files to the Mac.  Is there an easy way to do this?
--
				Dave Newkirk, ihnp4!ihlpm!dcn

schumann@puff.UUCP (04/28/87)

dcn@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Dave Newkirk) writes:
> My brother is considering upgrading from an old Apple II+ to a Mac, but is
> concerned about trying to transfer several 5 1/4" disks worth of Apple
> Pascal text files to the Mac.  Is there an easy way to do this?
> 				Dave Newkirk, ihnp4!ihlpm!dcn

There is one easy way to do this: use a modem, or even a serial cable,
directly from ][+ to Mac.  On the Apple end, you can send with
T(ransfer to REMOUT:, and use any communication program on the Mac.

You should be able to send very quickly (19.2Kbaud) with a cable.

Chris Schumann					schumann@puff.wisc.edu

a228arig@cdfb.utoronto (Tak Ariga) (05/01/87)

> My brother is considering upgrading from an old Apple II+ to a Mac, but is
> concerned about trying to transfer several 5 1/4" disks worth of Apple
> Pascal text files to the Mac.  Is there an easy way to do this?
> --
>                               Dave Newkirk, ihnp4!ihlpm!dcn

Well, the easiest way is to use a serial to serial connection.  That is
to get a Serial card for the Apple if you dont' have one, and hook it
through a null modem cable to the serial port of the Mac.  Then use normal
communication software, (i.e. Ascii Express on the //+, MacTerm on the mac,
etc.)  then transfer.

Another way is to buy a 3.5 inch drive for the //+, then copy all the
software you want onto that disk.  Then the mac can directly read it.  There
are also various //e-in-a-mac emulation software, so you can run some
Apple // software on the Mac...

--Tak

UUCP:     {utzoo, decvax, ihnp4, cbosgd, utcsri, mnetor}!utgpu!utcdfa!a228arig
ARPAnet:  a228arig%cdfa.toronto.edu@relay.cs.net
CSnet:    a228arig%cdfa.toronto.edu
BITNET:   a228arig@utcdfa.UTORONTO
==  University of Toronto -- Toronto, Canada  ==