[comp.sys.apple] Use of Apple Memory Exp. Card and Applwks

ix200@sdcc6.ucsd.EDU (Bruce Jones) (04/27/87)

One of the departments I work for recently bought about 20 of
Apple's new memory expansion cards.  I spent several fruitless
hours trying to get Appleworks to run on the card without success.
I called my friendly local technician who promised to get to Apple
and find out how to use the thing.  He didn't get back to me so I
called around and found one interesting little known fact -- you
must have the latest version of Appleworks for the card to
recognize the program and run.  Since the department bought the
machinery and the programs years ago (version 1.0) it wouldn't
run.  Not nice.  The manual that comes with the card is a joke.
Although it is printed in four languages it runs a measly 20 pages
in English, without mentioning the problem detailed above.

I wonder what else it won't do ...

Bruce

--

swgraham@siskowit.UUCP (05/05/87)

In article <3133@sdcc6.ucsd.EDU>, ix200@sdcc6.UUCP writes:
> One of the departments I work for recently bought about 20 of
> Apple's new memory expansion cards.  I spent several fruitless
> hours trying to get Appleworks to run on the card without success.
> I called my friendly local technician who promised to get to Apple
> and find out how to use the thing.  He didn't get back to me so I
> called around and found one interesting little known fact -- you
> must have the latest version of Appleworks for the card to
> recognize the program and run.  Since the department bought the
> machinery and the programs years ago (version 1.0) it wouldn't
> run.  Not nice.

I haven't had any experience with Apple's memory cards, but I have
used one of AE's cards. I find that an easy way to use this card
with AppleWorks is to configure the card as a RAM disk, and load
all of AppleWorks into /RAM. This doesn't give you an expanded desktop,
but it does speed up the program considerably because your not going
to the floppy disk all the time.

Versions 1.0 through 1.2 don't require any modifications to be loaded
on /RAM. Version 2.0 will automatically load on an Apple card, but
it needs a patch to load on a non-Apple card. The program
"Super MacroWorks" (from Beagle Brothers) contains such a patch.

Another remark is that Apple did have an upgrade program for AppleWorks.
For $50, you could upgrade from Version 1.x to 2.0. However, I beleive
that this program expired on April 30.

Sid Graham
Michigan Tech

eww@OBERON.LCS.MIT.EDU.UUCP (05/06/87)

re: Appleworks upgrade to vers. 2.0:

Current owners of Aplwrks can upgrade to version 2.0 to August 1, 1987
To order, you must complete an Appleworks version 2.0 upgrade mailer.
( I believe that this requires the return of the original Aplwrks disk(s)
All orders must be postmarked no later than August 1, 1987. Upgrade price is
$50.00.
  (Paraphrased from Applelink)

jdf@pbhyc.UUCP (Jack Fine) (05/07/87)

Upgrading to appleworks 2.0 for 50 bucks is great.  What I would like to
see though is an upgrade offer for appleworks 3.0.  You know, the one with
pull down menus and spell checker and thesaurus built in.  Of course it has
a nice spreadsheet macro ability and more functions.  Color variation and
graphics would be nice.

Do you suppose that since apple has spun off the software part of the
company that we will see this kind of support and upgrades?  Or am I just
dreaming.

I mailed a note asking for apple to get involved in this group about 3
weeks ago to someone who works for apple and logs into the Mac group.  He
said he agreed and sent my request on to the manager of the apple //.  No
word back yet.  Hmmm... wonder why?

Support for the Mac seems very good yet for the Apple // well...

jack

swgraham@siskowit.UUCP (Sidney Graham) (05/12/87)

> Another remark is that Apple did have an upgrade program for AppleWorks.
> For $50, you could upgrade from Version 1.x to 2.0. However, I beleive
> that this program expired on April 30.
>

> Sid Graham
> Michigan Tech

Here is some information that I received from Wes Williams at MIT
about the  Appleworks upgrade to vers. 2.0: