[comp.sys.apple] need C compiler

hood@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (05/13/87)

I am looking for a C compiler for an Apple //c with some Unix
utilities attached.  I am aware of an old product called AZTEC C65
but I'm not sure it is still available.

I'm wanting to spend anywhere in the $50 - 200 range.

Any ideas or recommendations would be appreciated.

Stan Seago

UUCP:  ...ihnp4:osiris:fthood:sseago

gwyn@BRL.ARPA (Doug Gwyn, VLD/VMB) (05/15/87)

Aztec C from Manx Software Systems (Shrewsbury, NJ I think) is
indeed still available.  The newest release is for ProDOS with
DOC 3.3 cross-development support.  I use it and find it better
than one might have guessed.

Manx advertises in several home computer mags.

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (05/19/87)

In article <9300002@osiris>, hood@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> I am looking for a C compiler for an Apple //c with some Unix
> utilities attached.  I am aware of an old product called AZTEC C65
> but I'm not sure it is still available.
>
> I'm wanting to spend anywhere in the $50 - 200 range.

Stan,

Aztec C is still available.  They have several different versions, the
most expensive version is the developer version.  It has a Unix-like
command shell with a limited exec language.  The developer version
will compile to either Dos or Prodos.  It'sOs libraries are pretty complete,
and it supports separate compilation, libraries and linking.  It doesn't
have make or lint but it does hacvve the preprocessor.  My major criticism
of this package is that it has slow screen handling.  The screen routines are
written in C and they run everything through an ADM-3A terminal emulator
so that the same screen commands work on all of the Manx C compilers.

Manx makes the Aztec C compiler.  They advertise in byte and usually in the
Apple // specific magazines.

Rick Fincher
ranger@ecsvax