[net.movies] film stock fading; digitization

ntt@dciem.UUCP (Mark Brader) (05/18/84)

From: stan@clyde.UUCP (Stan King)
Newsgroups: net.movies
Subject: Re: film stock fading
Date: Wed, 16-May-84 18:47:34 EDT

Marty Sasaki:
>    >    Wait, I take that last statement back. Magnetic storing
>    >    and digital storage in general will last as well.

Stan King:
>    Has anybody here ever tried to read a ten-year old magnetic digital
>    tape?  20-year old?  Seems like color film compares pretty well to that.

Mark Brader (me):
Well, there are other digital media, some of which are write-once-then-
read-only.  Punch cards, for instance!  Or to enter the realm of the
practical, digital laser disks.  Technology similar to this has been used
for computer mass storage at least as long ago as the ILLIAC IV.

Mark Brader