[comp.sys.apple] Setting Hayes to answer

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (05/21/87)

Getting a modem to do anything from BASIC requires a serial
interface with firmware that can be called from BASIC
(Apple's SSC for instance which accepts

PRINT CHR$($);"IN#2":PRINT CHR$(1);"T" to "enter terminal
mode."

Then the modem has to be given its command for "auto answer"
(some modems auto answer as a default or can be set to with
a micro switch).  It's been awhile since I programmed that
function myself, but I believe the HAYES SMARTMODEM command
is ATA

sipples@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (timothy sipples) (05/22/87)

In article <8705210954.aa08334@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET writes:

>Then the modem has to be given its command for "auto answer"
>(some modems auto answer as a default or can be set to with
>a micro switch).  It's been awhile since I programmed that
>function myself, but I believe the HAYES SMARTMODEM command
>is ATA

The correct command is

ATS0=x

where x is a number 0 to 255, the number of rings the Hayes Smartmodem will
wait before answering.

Examples:

ATS0=11

sets the modem to answer after the eleventh ring.

ATS0=0

sets the modem to never answer.

T.F.S.