[comp.sys.apple] APPLE ][+ MEMORY

Henry_Chiavaroli.WBST129UL@XEROX.COM (05/19/87)

HELP!

I HAVE AN ][+ WHICH I WOULD LIKE TO EXPAND TO 128K.

FIRST, IS THIS POSSIBLE?

AND SECOND, HOW?

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANYONES HELP.

cssu@cdfb.utoronto (Tak Ariga) (05/21/87)

> From: Henry_Chiavaroli.WBST129UL@xerox.com
>
> I HAVE AN ][+ WHICH I WOULD LIKE TO EXPAND TO 128K.
>
> FIRST, IS THIS POSSIBLE?

Well, it is possible to add more memory to a //+, but it will NOT allow
you to run programs designed for the //e or //c with 128K.  The reason
for this is that the memory is managed in totally different ways.

In a //+, you would be adding a RAM card, which usually is 128K, and it
works on the bank-switching principle.  It switches the memory in
banks of 16K, which resides in the top 16K above your 48K on your mother
board.  So, you would have 172K, but "really" only using 64K of it any
given instance...

In a //e and //c, 128K is managed by having a "mirror image" of the 64K
in another bank.  So, again, switching is involved, but it switches
in 2 banks of 64K each.

Anyway, I hope you can see that they manage memory in vastly different
ways.

Another reason you can't run 128K //e or //c software on a //+, is
because of a lot of other hardware differences, like the way 80 col.
is handled, double hi-res graphics, the CPU, and a few other things,
so it's not just the amount of memory.

You won't be able to run //e or //c software, but adding memory to a //+
comes in handy as a RAM disk, or expands your Appleworks desktop, or
something else...  So, it's fairly worthwhile if you can get a RAM card
cheaply.

> AND SECOND, HOW?

Just buy a RAM card, and drop it in an empty slot...  Fairly straightforward.

If you have any futher questions or anything, feel free to contact me.

--Tak

UUCP:     {utzoo, decvax, ihnp4, cbosgd, utcsri, mnetor}!utgpu!cdfb!cssu
ARPAnet:  cssu%cdfb.toronto.edu@relay.cs.net
CSnet:    cssu%cdfb.toronto.edu
BITNET:   cssu@cdfb.UTORONTO
==  University of Toronto -- Toronto, Canada  ==

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (05/25/87)

	From info-apple-request@brl-smoke.arpa Wed May 20 19:00:17 1987
	Sender: Henry_Chiavaroli.WBST129UL@Xerox.COM
	Date: 19 May 87 05:02:39 PDT (Tuesday)
	Subject: APPLE ][+ MEMORY
	From: Henry_Chiavaroli.WBST129UL@Xerox.COM
	To: info-apple@BRL.ARPA

	HELP!

	I HAVE AN ][+ WHICH I WOULD LIKE TO EXPAND TO 128K.

	FIRST, IS THIS POSSIBLE?

	AND SECOND, HOW?

	THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANYONES HELP.

If you are willing to expand to more than 128K (you probably should), there are  at least two possibilities:

1. SMT Memory Expander. A 1 meg board is advertised in May '87 A+. For SMT, 800- 648-6262.

2. Applied Engineering RamFactor. Available from 256K up to 16 Meg. Also advertised (and sold by others at discounts) in same A+. For Applied Engineering, 214-
241-6060, 0900-2300, Texas time. I am presently having problems with a 1 meg     RamFactor (with RamCharger) in an enhanced ][e, but previous AE products were   fine, and I'm still trouble shooting.

                       halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
                       HALP@CRNLTHRY.BITNET
                       D57J@CORNELLA.BITNET