[comp.sys.apple] 3.5 inch drives

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (05/26/87)

My Apple Unidisk 3.5, with controller in slot 7, do not boot at power-up in
either ehnanced or unenhanced ][e, but do in a ][c if there is no floppy in the
built-in drive. The ][e will boot ProDOS from the Unidisk 3.5, controller in
slot 7, in response to a PR#7 command. To boot PASCAL, the controller card must
be at 6 or 5.

re: Obtaining 65C02. Previous discussions on this BB indicate that the 65C02
can simply be plugged in, replacing the 6502. For more conservative types,
like me, an Applied Engineering Transwarp card in slot 3 will get you a 65C02
and computing at 3.5 MHz (faster than a ][gs).

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (05/26/87)

In article <8705260145.AA09208@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU>, halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") writes:
> My Apple Unidisk 3.5, with controller in slot 7, do not boot at power-up in
> either ehnanced or unenhanced ][e, but do in a ][c if there is no floppy in the
> built-in drive. The ][e will boot ProDOS from the Unidisk 3.5, controller in
> slot 7, in response to a PR#7 command. To boot PASCAL, the controller card must
> be at 6 or 5.
Your drive or card must be defective, the 3.5 should boot in the enhanced
//e from slot 7 (or any other).  If there is no disk in the drive it will
pass control down to the next lowest slot with a disk controller.

Rick Fincher
ranger@ecsvax

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU.UUCP (05/27/87)

	From info-apple-request@BRL-SMOKE.arpa Tue May 26 17:54:54 1987
	Date: 26 May 87 14:49:27 GMT
	From: "Rick N. Fincher" <ecsvax!ranger@mcnc.ORG>
	Subject: Re: 3.5 inch drives
	Sender: info-apple-request@BRL.ARPA
	To: info-apple@BRL.ARPA

	Just a point of interest.  No 3.5 inch drives, Apple's included will
	boot on an unenhanced //e.  Don't let this deter you from the Central
	Point drives and controller board.

	Rick Fincher
	ranger@ecsvax

If  boot means automatically begin to read at power-up, the statement is correct. However, if it is taken to mean become the prefix volume, in ProDos terms, then it is not correct. My unenhanced ][e will, upon receiving a PR#7, boot from    the Apple Unidisk 3.5 that has a controller in that slot.

My enhanced ][e, which also has its Apple Unidisk 3.5 controller in slot 7, will boot ProDos programs on the 3.5 drive at power-up. Note that this will not work for Apple Pascal. With Pascal, the controller must be in a slot lower than #7.
                halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
                HALP@CRNLTHRY.BITNET

cssu@cdfb.utoronto.UUCP (05/27/87)

> Finally, since I am considering enhancing my IIe (I want the 65C02, I
> don't want the chargen ROM, and I need the two monitor ROMs), does
> anyone know of any programs that will break if I enhance?  Can I install
> the 65C02 and the two monitor ROMs and keep my old chargen ROM?  What
> do I give up by enhancing?  I know that I lose the self tests - anything
> else?

There is a neat trick to have the best of both worlds at the flick
of a switch.  The //e ROMs are 64K, and I think the Char Gen is the
same.  To have both the enhanced and the unenhanced //e, what you do
is to burn your own EPROMS.

I have a friend who did this trick...  He burned the unenhanced //e
ROMS in the lower 64K of a 128K EPROM (27128), and the enhanced //e
ROMS in the upper 64K.  He then put a toggle switch to change the
high bit to select either the lower or the upper half of the 27128.
Apparently the pinouts for a 2764 (what the Apple //e ROMS are, I believe),
and the 27128 are very similar.  So, at the flick of a switch, you can
switch between an enhanced and an unenhanced //e.

The Char Gen had the same trick.  The difference there is that one have
Inverse characters, the enhanced has Mousetext characters...
He rigged the switch so that both ROMs are switched at once...

--Tak

UUCP:     {utzoo, decvax, ihnp4, cbosgd, utcsri, mnetor}!utgpu!cdfc!cssu
ARPAnet:  cssu%cdfc.toronto.edu@relay.cs.net
CSnet:    cssu%cdfc.toronto.edu
BITNET:   cssu@cdfc.UTORONTO
==  University of Toronto -- Toronto, Canada  ==

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU.UUCP (05/27/87)

	From info-apple-request@BRL-SMOKE.arpa Tue May 26 18:59:34 1987
	Date: 26 May 87 15:24:38 GMT
	From: "Rick N. Fincher" <ecsvax!ranger@mcnc.ORG>
	Sender: info-apple-request@BRL.ARPA
	To: info-apple@BRL.ARPA

	In article <8705260145.AA09208@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU>, halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") writes:
	> My Apple Unidisk 3.5, with controller in slot 7, do not boot at power-up in
	> either ehnanced or unenhanced ][e, but do in a ][c if there is no floppy in the
	> built-in drive. The ][e will boot ProDOS from the Unidisk 3.5, controller in
	> slot 7, in response to a PR#7 command. To boot PASCAL, the controller card must
	> be at 6 or 5.
	Your drive or card must be defective, the 3.5 should boot in the enhanced
	//e from slot 7 (or any other).  If there is no disk in the drive it will
	pass control down to the next lowest slot with a disk controller.

	Rick Fincher
	ranger@ecsvax

It was my memory (aging biological RAM) that was defective. As you said, it
(ProDos) does boot on the enhanced ][e from slot 7. The unenhanced requires a    PR#7.

                       halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu

halp@batcomputer.UUCP (05/27/87)

Summary:On enhanced ][e, Unidisk 3.5 WILL boot from slot #7
Sender:halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu       HALP@CRNLTHRY.BITNET

In article <8705260145.AA09208@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU> halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") writes:
>My Apple Unidisk 3.5, with controller in slot 7, do not boot at power-up in
>either ehnanced or unenhanced ][e, but do in a ][c if there is no floppy in the
>built-in drive. The ][e will boot ProDOS from the Unidisk 3.5, controller in
>slot 7, in response to a PR#7 command. To boot PASCAL, the controller card must
>be at 6 or 5.

Contrary to my assertion given above, my Apple Unidisk 3.5, with controller in
slot 7, WILL boot ProDos programs at power-up in an ENHANCED (i.e., new ROMS and6565C02) ][e. Just the 65C02 is not sufficient, since my unenhanced ][e, with a AE Transward (which supplies a 65C02) in slot 3, requires a PR#7 to boot from   the 3.5 controller in its slot 7.

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP ("Rick N. Fincher") (05/27/87)

Hal,

Your message was garbled when it arrived, can you send it again? (rin refer-
ence to 3.5 drives).

Rick Fincher
ranger@ecsvax

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP ("Rick N. Fincher") (05/27/87)

Hal,

just read your second message, iugnore my last reply!

Thanks

Rick