[comp.sys.apple] ada on micros

mcgurrin@MITRE.ARPA (05/26/87)

FYI, I understand that there is an article in Feb. 19ths EDN magazineine  discussing
a validated Ada compiler for the IBM PC/AT.  This would seem to indicate that
640K is sufficient memory (I haven't read the article, so I don't know what
swapping may or may not be occurring).  I think two things inhibit an Ada for
the Apple II, most important, PCs are what is used by most gov't and business
sites, not Apple II's, and secondly, DoD trademarked Ada so that only true
Ada could use the name, inhibiting anything like micro-Ada, small-Ada, etc.
At least until recently, all Ada compilers, even on large machines, delivered
slow code.  Until good compilers appear for more commonly used machines (for
this type of application that is), no one's going to bother with a relatively
tiny market for Apple Ada.
.

siritzky@acf2.UUCP (05/27/87)

The problems with putting Ada on a machine like the Mac
have little to do with the language Ada, and a lot to do with the
development software available on those machines. In the case of the
Mac, I have tried all the available C compilers to port NYU's Ada/ED.
All without success! Without going in to the specific problems each
compiler had, none was able to deal with all of the source code. Most
failed on some language construct which they did not implement
correctly or at all, and all failed because of the 32K restriction
on data segments.
I know that this '32K' discussion has been hashed out before, but the
bottom line is that it is a pain to live with. If you are writing a
new program then maybe you can deal with the 32K restriction, but
if you are porting an existing piece of software then it is much
harder.

Given the following circumstances
	1. A decent, complete C compiler for the Mac
	2. A removal of the 32K code/data segment restriction
	3. About 1 man month
we could probably port NYU Ada/ED to the Mac. Note that none of these
requirements has anything to do with the language Ada itself.

	Brian Siritzky
	New York University Ada Project,
	251 Mercer Street,
	New York, New York, 10012

From: sxw9233@acf3.UUCP (none)
Date: 27-May-87 21:21 EDT
Subject: Find Path
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

I was wondering if any of you can help me associate a song with its
artist.  The song is called "The path of least resistance" or
something like that.  I saw the song awhile back ago on some video
show here in NY.

If any of you know of the artist I am referring to, I would
really appreciate if you would drop me a line.  Thanks.