[comp.sys.apple] DOS AppleWriter patch

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (05/28/87)

Eric Ford writes:

>                                  ...being able to deselect Mousetext is
>essential for using Applewriter or the earlier version of MicroCookbook.

I can't remember where I read it (shame on me), but a patch exists for
DOS 3.3 Applewriter that fixes the Mousetext problem (the ProDOS version
is not afflicted with this shortcoming).

Perhaps if someone has the patch they could post it?

kamath@reed.UUCP (06/02/87)

In article <8705281306.aa19250@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET writes:
>Eric Ford writes:
>
>>                                  ...being able to deselect Mousetext is
>>essential for using Applewriter or the earlier version of MicroCookbook.
>
>I can't remember where I read it (shame on me), but a patch exists for
>DOS 3.3 Applewriter that fixes the Mousetext problem (the ProDOS version
>is not afflicted with this shortcoming).
>
>Perhaps if someone has the patch they could post it?

I have made my own custom patches to AppleWriter Version 1.0 for the
Apple //e.  It runs under Dos 3.3,  the last one to do so.  I assume
youa are all talking about this version, as the Prodos Versions do not
have this problem.  I have kept my mought shut about this for a while,
but since you can no longer by this version, I feel that I can open it
(oh, how it love to be used, even if it has to use my fingers. . . :-)

I have an enhanced //e, with 192K.  Hence, I only patched the version
(OBJ.APWRT][F) that it boots to on my machine.  Don Lancaster said at
one time that this problem could not be fixed completely, but I have yet
to uncounter any problems.  In anycase, Applewriter 1.0 is copy
protected (not that teh FIRST version of Applewriter was also version
1.0.  I mean the //e version!).  Since I wanted room inside the program,
the only place I found enough was the copy protection routines.  In
anycase, it's not a big thing, because you still need the custom DOS on
the disk, hence goodbye hard disks.  However, if you hold down the 'C'
key while it boots, it askes what slot to boot the corvus from..think
about that, especially if you have a hard disk.  I understand it only
allows you to save data on it though.

If all this rambling has interested anyone, send me e-mail and I will
give you my custom patches.  IT also modifies the end of paragraph mark
to the little mousetext return character.

sean kamath

UUCP: {masscomp, decvax, allegra, psu-cs, ucbcad, ucbvax, purdue, hplabs,
	hp-pcd, sequent, uw-beaver, ihnp4, cbosgd, gatech, nsc-pdc}
	!tektronix!reed!kamath