[comp.sys.apple] Gs prices / Gs upgrades

NYSOKO@WEIZMANN.BITNET.UUCP (05/29/87)

I continuesly hear people say the gs is over priced. Would anyone mind
telling me a) how much a gs costs in the states b) have they been
or when will they be shipped to other countries. I don't know about
Europe but here in Israel we haven't seen a sign of them.

And another request. Could someone who has upgraded his //e to a //gs
tell me a) The cost b) How good is it? c) Is this upgrade possible for
clones such as the Franklin or the Laser 128.

Thanks in advance
Asaf Sokolowski
Nysoko@Weizmann.Bitnet

In article <8705290959.aa10062@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> NYSOKO@WEIZMANN.BITNET (Asaf Sokolowski) writes:
>I continuesly hear people say the gs is over priced. Would anyone mind
>telling me a) how much a gs costs in the states

$995 list base machine (256K, mouse & keyboard)

>And another request. Could someone who has upgraded his //e to a //gs
>tell me a) The cost

$495 list

> b) How good is it?

Well, if you have any but the latest //e, you won't end up with the
numeric keypad, nor the mouse (which is ESSENTIAL).  The only //e
configuration I would recommend upgrading as opposed to purchasing
a IIGS outright would have to already have: AppleMouse II, 2 3.5"
disk drives, and an ImageWriter II.  If you don't have these, you'd
sooner or later have to get the equivalent for the upgrade, which
will erode the small price differential.  The clincher is that some
//e software simply does not run on the IIGS, so you might want to
keep your //e just for software you're not willing to lose.

> c) Is this upgrade possible for
>clones such as the Franklin or the Laser 128.

What's the point?  Assuming it would work, which is extremely
doubtful, you would have thrown out everything except the junky
parts of the clones.  Why keep those instead of getting a IIGS?

Another point is that some of us are willing to pay a bit more
for the original product, as a reward for the investment that
it took to develop the product, rather than encourage rip-offs
of other people's design and development efforts.  Of course,
you may feel that a small amount of capital is a good trade-off
against morality and ethics, and it's your right to do so (hope
you feel good about it).

chauvin@bloom-beacon.UUCP (06/03/87)

In article <8705290959.aa10062@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> NYSOKO@WEIZMANN.BITNET (Asaf Sokolowski) writes:
>I continuesly hear people say the gs is over priced. Would anyone mind
>telling me a) how much a gs costs in the states b) have they been
>or when will they be shipped to other countries. I don't know about
>Europe but here in Israel we haven't seen a sign of them.
>
>And another request. Could someone who has upgraded his //e to a //gs
>tell me a) The cost b) How good is it? c) Is this upgrade possible for
>clones such as the Franklin or the Laser 128.
>
>Thanks in advance
>Asaf Sokolowski
>Nysoko@Weizmann.Bitnet

We had just bought a GS a few days ago for about $780.  I think the
list price for the CPU is $999.  We also got a color monitor, a 3.5
drive, a 5.25 drive, an Imagewriter II, and an Apple memory expansion
card (256K).  The total came to about $2200.

ARPA:  chauvin@athena.mit.edu
CSNET: chauvin%athena.mit.edu@relay.cs.net
UUCP:  {ihnp4, decvax!genrad}!mit-eddie!mit-athena!chauvin