[comp.sys.apple] Quoting Messages Within Reply

myerst@ESDVAX.ARPA (TERRY MYERS) (06/03/87)

                   I N T E R O F F I C E   M E M O R A N D U M

                                        Date:      3-Jun-1987 10:04
                                        From:      Terry L Myers
                                        Username:  MYERST
                                        Dept:      SCOP
                                        Tel No:    617 377-5554 (AV478)

TO:  _MAILER!                             ( _DDN[INFO-APPLE@BRL.ARPA] )

Subject: Re:  Quoting Messages Within Reply

Re:
	Date:     Tue, 2 Jun 87 20:10 EST
	From:     DICKSON%HARTFORD.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU
	Subject:  RE: gs prices/upgrade

>By the way, how do you all get pieces of other people's mail re-quoted next to
>little > symbols?  I've never figured that out.  I'm on a VAX if that helps.

	I post this to the net in the hope that someone can tell me a
better way to do it.  If you aren't interested in VAX details, hit the SACF
key now.  (SACF:  Assembly mnemonic for the Stop-And-Catch-Fire command.)

	I use a VAX account with All-In-One (no DCL priv.)  When I get a
message that I want to respond to with part of the msg quoted, I "File Text
of Message" first.  (I believe if you "File Message" it still won't let you
edit.)  Then I go into edit mode (using EDT usually.)  Select the parts of
the message that you don't need, and cut each one as you go, then go to the
beginning of each quoted line to insert the ">".

	I haven't switched to WPS-PLUS yet because it created files that
couldn't be sent over the net.  I understand we got a patch to
automatically convert (strip off?) the special characters that WPS-PLUS
files have, so maybe I'll try it with a user-defined process that will help
with the editing.  That might speed up the process a little.

				Terry Myers
				Bedford, MA
				Expert in Inverse Artificial Intelligence

------