[comp.sys.apple] GS upgrade questions

OAF.G.PELLER@OZ.AI.MIT.EDU.UUCP (06/06/87)

OK, so I got a good offer for my Apple //e, monitor, and 2 drives, and i've
decided to buy a //gs (via Apple for the teacher deal... very cheap.  In
fact, it works out cheaper to buy a new computer than to upgrade)

Anyways, I just wanted to make sure that all my existing hardware
will work with the //gs.  I have:

   An epson MX-80 printer hooked up through a grappler plus card
   A Prometheus Promodem 1200a
   A II+ joystick (old 16 pin)

That's about it... I'm selling everything else.  So, will this
hardware work?  Will programs like Ascii Express and Mousetalk
work?

Thanks for your help.

Adam Peller
ADAMP%OZ@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU
-------

gwyn@BRL.ARPA.UUCP (06/07/87)

The current versions of ASCII Express and MouseTalk work on the IIGS.
If your versions support the ProModem 1200A then the odds are they
will work okay with in installed on a IIGS.

The Grappler+ card unfortunately causes problems with some IIGS software.
You would be better off getting a serial interface for your MX-80 or even
switching to an ImageWriter II, which is what most IIGS software supports.
However, software that already works with the Grappler+ should continue
to work on the IIGS.

The joystick should work.  The IIGS does have a DIP game port inside it.

bblue@pnet01.CTS.COM.UUCP (06/07/87)

Adam -  MouseTalk version 1.3 or higher fully supports the GS, and
ASCII Express 4.31p does too.  AE 4.30p will also work with the GS, but
not with its internal serial port.

--Bill