[comp.sys.apple] GS serial ports...

whitney@think.UUCP (06/09/87)

Hiho,
	A while back I requested info on using the //GS serial ports.
I got a few answers, and even a couple of promises to send sources. Well,
I haven't received anything. Is there trouble with a mailer somewhere?
Who has the source for using the ports thru the firmware (I need to be able
to send/receive data, change data bits, stop, parity, baud). I have that
C header (z8530.h or something), but I can't figure out most of it because
the comments are too terse and don't explain how to actually *use* each of
the registers. Oh well. Thanks for any help from anyone...

gwyn@brl-smoke.UUCP (06/14/87)

In article <5169@think.UUCP> whitney@godot.think.com.UUCP (David Whitney) writes:
>... I have that
>C header (z8530.h or something), but I can't figure out most of it because
>the comments are too terse and don't explain how to actually *use* each of
>the registers.

The scc8530.h source was pretty large as it was.  I commented to a degree
sufficient for use by a serial communication expert who might not be
familiar with the Z8530 details but who otherwise knows how these things
work.  For detailed information on the Z8530, refer to the Zilog
documentation cited in the scc8530.h file.  I found it in the EDN Gold Book
series, but you can probably obtain it from other sources, perhaps even Zilog.