[net.movies] Roll-your-own

smw@tilt.UUCP (Stewart Wiener) (05/13/84)

> From: matt@oddjob.UChicago.UUCP (Matt Crawford)
>
> ... In particular I think that there has been no real portrayal of
> aliens as complete characters in the movies....  You are free
> to claim that Chmeee and Phssthpok are flat compared to, say, human
> characters in Casablanca or GWTW, but the competition in sf films is with
> the likes of Chewbacca and E.T. (Who knows what the hell they're thinking
> about?), Yoda (of the one-track mind), or the Blob.
>
> Any counter-examples?

Why, OF COURSE.  The best-developed character in all of the realm of science
fiction -- from the original concept, through 79 TV episodes and reams of
further material, culminating in three movies.  Spock, of the planet Vulcan.

Okay, he's only half alien.  Then again, Phssthpok (is that spelled right?)
is also of the same blood as humans.
--
	   Stewart Wiener		:-) someone just smiled for no special
	Princeton Univ. EECS		:-) reason, looks like the smile's come

wbpesch@ihuxp.UUCP (Walt Pesch) (05/18/84)

I would say the best would have to be doing an on-screen creation of
Poul Anderson's Dominick Flandry.  it would be entertaining, easy to
identify with, and fun!

Walt Pesch
AT&T Technologies
ihnp4!ihuxp!wbpesch

gds@mit-eddie.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (05/19/84)

Spock is hardly an alien -- I tend to think of him more as a foreigner
with different customs.

Perhaps Maia from Space 1999?
--
					Be ye moby,
					for I am moby.

Greg Skinner (gregbo)
{decvax!genrad, eagle!mit-vax, ihnp4}!mit-eddie!gds

Joy is in the ears that hear.