[comp.sys.apple] Wanting an Apple //gs

rre@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Velveteen Rabbit Corps) (06/24/87)

I am currently the owner of an Apple //c, with an AppleColor monitor,
one Mitac disc drive, and a Unidisk 3.5.  "Desdamona" has been around
since 1985, and has provided me great service.  It may not have the
bells and whistles like a C64, but I needed it mostly for text-processing,
which it excels in.

I have currently started getting interesting in programming Desdamona.
I will not program in BASIC, not because I hate it, but because I
want to apply something I've learned in school in my programming
(foolish me).  BASIC won't do that, and besides, on the //c, getting
the most of its power can't be gotten from BASIC.  So I got Apple
Pascal 1.3, but even that won't let you tap all the power (no
DHIRES, etc).  Oh yes, Desdamona is hooked up to the Cricket //c,
so I can get neat music and speech.

But, I want more.

Trust me, I did drool over the //gs for a while, just for its
bells&whistles.  That lasted a month, and I stopped that.  I knew
that I still hadn't tapped the potential of Desdamona (having only
started programming in 6502 itself), and that wanting to pay that
much just for bells&whistles was beyond my financial capability.

I made the mistake of reading the Technical Introduction, and
went gaga over the programming capabilities!  Access to full GS
power! Speed! I can program in a high-level language and keep some
reasonable amount of speed! And that stupid mouse can actually be
used from programming (I couldn't use it from 6502 or Pascal).

Anyway, this lenghty introduction to my predicament leads me to my
question: Does anyone out there in netland own or operate an
Apple //gs?   I am most curious in your reactions to it, and how
you'd compare it to other systems like it (Atari ST, Amiga, Mac).
I've looked into other systems and decided 1. I definitely like
Color  2. I want expandability  3. I don't want to deal with the ST
monitor problems if I don't have to  4. I want to go through a dealer
(at least for the CPU).

Please email to me your opinions concerning the matter, and if you
can, how much you paid for your //gs systems, and what software
and what you do on it.  If things go the way I want it, by
next summer I'll have Desdamona II...

(...of course, if I saved for three years, I could just run out
and get a Mac II for $5000...)

Nah.

Thanks in advance.  The path is ihnp4!ihlpg!rre.

gillam@hpfcph.HP.COM ( Larry Gillam) (06/29/87)

Please email to me your opinions concerning the matter, and if you
can, how much you paid for your //gs systems, and what software
and what you do on it.  If things go the way I want it, by
next summer I'll have Desdamona II...

----------
    I'm very much interested in reading responses to the above posting.
Could you please post your responses to the net for everybodys consumption?

    The //gs is the first Apple product that has turned my head. I have a
6 yr. old entering the first grade and I see a lot of potential with the
color and sound capabilities(not to mention the fun for myself!).
I don't have ANY Apple // stuff, so the transportability is not a concern.
I've been monitoring this note file for insight and biding my time waiting
for Apple to work out the bugs and bring the price down.

There was a previous posting that recommended purchasing a Sony 13" monitor
instead of the Apple monitor. Are the display characteristics any better, or
is it just cheaper? If anybody has purchased one of these Sony monitors, I
would like to hear of their experiences concerning cabling, physical
compitabiliy(does it fit on top of the SPU?), etc.

                            Thanks,
                                Larry

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (07/07/87)

In article <4150001@hpfcph.HP.COM>, gillam@hpfcph.HP.COM ( Larry Gillam) writes:

> There was a previous posting that recommended purchasing a Sony 13" monitor
> instead of the Apple monitor. Are the display characteristics any better, or
> is it just cheaper? If anybody has purchased one of these Sony monitors, I
> would like to hear of their experiences concerning cabling, physical
> compitabiliy(does it fit on top of the SPU?), etc.

I have used the Sony KV 1311 CR.  This monitor has about the same or slightly
better picture quality than the Apple brand (Hitachi built) monitor.  It
has a 14 inch screen as opposed to 11 for the Apple.  The 1311 has a TV receiver
and wireless remote, they have a model 1310 that has only the monitor for
about $100 less.  Since the picture tube is bigger, the monitor is bigger.
It is a little bulky but it will sit on top of a //e or //gs (hanging over
on 3 sides).  The cabling is an issue, but the local Apple dealer already
has a local company making cables for it.  The May (?) Computer Shopper had
an Article in the Apple seccction showing the wiring for a cable for this
monitor.  The local cable that I got doesn't connect the sound to the monitor's
speaker but the CS article shows how to do this (you have to add a resistor
to the wire).  I would say anyone who pays $500 for the Apple monitor is nuts.
The Sony offers many more features for the same price.

Rick Fincher
ranger@ecsvax