[comp.sys.apple] Apple 3.5

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (07/04/87)

I get confused by all these 3.5 inch designations (Apple 3.5,
Unidisk 3.5, etc.) which signify slightly different disks, but
I've read that the Macintosh 800K drive is identical to --
wasn't it the Apple 3.5 (whichever one it is that can daisy
chain on a IIgs I think).

At least in theory, Apple wants to make all their peripherals
compatible across lines.  That way if you buy an SCSI hard disk
for you Apple II and then trade up to a Mac, you won't have to
buy a new hard disk too (making it easier to cost justify the
upgrade).

amos@csri.toronto.EDU (Tak Ariga) (07/08/87)

> From: SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET
> Subject: Apple 3.5
> Date: 4 Jul 87 20:42:00 GMT
>
> I get confused by all these 3.5 inch designations (Apple 3.5,
> Unidisk 3.5, etc.) which signify slightly different disks, but
> I've read that the Macintosh 800K drive is identical to --
> wasn't it the Apple 3.5 (whichever one it is that can daisy
> chain on a IIgs I think).
>
> At least in theory, Apple wants to make all their peripherals
> compatible across lines.  That way if you buy an SCSI hard disk
> for you Apple II and then trade up to a Mac, you won't have to
> buy a new hard disk too (making it easier to cost justify the
> upgrade).

Well, this might be old news, but from what I know, the 3.5 for the
// series can be used on the mac, but the reverse does not hold.

I had a friend who tried this a while back.  He had a unidisk 3.5
800K for the //e he was using, and modified it for use on his
Mac Plus.  I think what you have to do is disable the logic
board inside, which the Mac does not need, but the // requires.
Not surprisingly, the Mac drives does not have this logic board,
so it cannot be used with the //.

At least, that's what he told me...  Does anyone care to correct me?

--Tak