[comp.sys.apple] Applesoft input anything

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (07/15/87)

In ID 553@alliant.uucp, Jim Muller writes:

>The proper approach is to avoid using INPUT at all.  Instead, read input
>character by character using GET.  (If you are reading numerical input,
>you will have to convert these to values, but it isn't too hard.)  After each
>character is entered, it can be added onto the end of the already existing
>input string.

That will work, of course but then

100 GET A$
110 B$ = B$ + A$
 etc.

is retchedly slow.  If you didn't get the few lines of Applesoft that I
uploaded that POKEs a small machine language routine for reading by lines,
let me know.  I'll upload it again, and I've even found another
little program that does the same thing; maybe I'll send that version along
too.

Note the date on this (Wed the 14th), I just received Jim Muller's Thur the
9th.  The slowdown seems to be in the gateway from Arpa to Wisconsin.