[comp.sys.apple] ECP followup...

whitney@think.COM (David Whitney) (07/17/87)

After I posted my interest in ECP8/16 (a command shell), I got a few remarks
as well as a few requests for info on ECP and other shells. Well here's
the summary:

A note from the authority on ECP:
>From: ihnp4!nosc!delton@pro-carolina.arpa (Don Elton)
>To: pnet01!crash!ihnp4!think!whitney@pro-sol.UUCP
>Subject: ecp8/16
>
>Just saw your note on the info-apple thing about ECP8 and ECP16.  ECP16
>includes ECP8 and is $40 as you said.. ECP8 alone is $30.  ECP8 already has a
>utility to let you rename commands.. this isn't done yet for ECP16 since you
>can't easily modify the load file on disk so a ram based utility will be
>required (and will probably basically be an alias command when it's done).
>My address is
>
>        Carolina System Software
>        3207 Berkeley Forest Drive
>        Columbia, SC  29209-4111
>
>UUCP: [ ihnp4 sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!pnet01!pro-sol!delton
>ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!delton@nosc
>INET: delton@pro-sol.cts.com

I also got a remark saying the ECP isn't very unixy, but it is much better than
the BASIC.SYSTEM environment. I sent Don a note asking him if I could preview
before I pay. I should get a response in about a week, I guess. Others
mentioned: the ORCA/APW shell has the ability to edit the existing commands.
A product called KIX from MANX (of Aztec C fame) is a shell (not a C-shell).
There's also one from Kyan, but the note didn't give a product name. As I
told Don, if I can't find a shell that does The Right Thing, I'll write my
own (if I ever get the time :-)

Anyone out there want to comment on the aforementioned shells? Any gripes/
compliments? Any other shells out there? Has Apple finally finished work on
the Finder for the GS? Will Bob marry Sue? Speaking of non-sequetors...

David Whitney                              Still learning about my Apple //GS
{the known universe}!ihnp4!think!whitney   and all of its secrets. Any and all
whitney@think.com                          technical info appreciated.
DISCLAIMER: You know the deal...

NU092254@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Brian Dall) (07/20/87)

KIX is from Kyan, it is the MANX (of Aztec C fame) whose product is un-named.

just a slight correction.  KIX uses names that are very much the same as the
simple corresponding UNIX commands.
       take care,
                                     -Bri

Brian Dall        |                           |"It is dangerous to tell
PO Box 5112       |  NU092254@NDSUVM1.BITNET  | the people that laws are
NDSU Station      |                           | not just. . . ."
Fargo, ND  58105  |                           |  -Blaise Pascal