[comp.sys.apple] ProDos/WordPerfect Bug?

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA (Ted Lee) (06/29/87)

Has anyone else run into a problem with WordPerfect on the GS losing
files, in a strange way?  Did some editing and wrote out the changed
file as a new file under a different name from the old one.  (The old
one was named AB, the new one AB.1) Came back next day to continue and
found that only about half of the file was there, and the end was badly
garbled (@ signs and other funny marks.)  Re-did what I had done before,
saving it as AB.1.  Did some more, and saved that as AB.2.  Then tried
to see what I had:  both AB.1 and AB.2 have the same information in
them, and are identical to the original AB.  The directory shows the
correct update times, and shows all three of different lengths.  I am
using THE most recent version of WordPerfect (release 1.1, version H,
just sent to me) which was supposed to correct some bugs in the earlier
versions.  The WordPerfect people say they are having no problems.  The
full pathname of the files involved is rather short, so it can't be that
that has something to with it.  (e.g., /xyzw.2/pqr87/ab) The only other
relevant thing might be that I used the Beagle Bros copy verb to move
WordPerfect into RAM before running.

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (07/07/87)

I was having a problem with WordPerfect and their Tech support filks said
not to copy the disks with anything but the Apple filer.  Some copy programs
evidently won't copy the disks properly.

CC004019@BROWNVM.BITNET (Christopher Chung) (07/08/87)

>Has anyone else run into a problem with WordPerfect on the GS losing
>files, in a strange way?  Did some editing and wrote out the changed
>file as a new file under a different name from the old one.  (The old
>one was named AB, the new one AB.1) Came back next day to continue and
>found that only about half of the file was there, and the end was badly
>garbled (@ signs and other funny marks.)  Re-did what I had done before,
>saving it as AB.1.  Did some more, and saved that as AB.2.  Then tried
>to see what I had:  both AB.1 and AB.2 have the same information in
>them, and are identical to the original AB.  The directory shows the
>correct update times, and shows all three of different lengths.  I am
>using THE most recent version of WordPerfect (release 1.1, version H,
>just sent to me) which was supposed to correct some bugs in the earlier
>versions.  The WordPerfect people say they are having no problems.  The
>full pathname of the files involved is rather short, so it can't be that
>that has something to with it.  (e.g., /xyzw.2/pqr87/ab) The only other
>relevant thing might be that I used the Beagle Bros copy verb to move
>WordPerfect into RAM before running.

I just ran into the very same problem yesterday.  Strange...  However, I was
using a different program - Applewriter (dos version).  For some strange reason
my file had also been cut off.  I then used Copy II Plus to take a look at the
file and discovered that the file had gotten chopped off just where the inverse
@ symbols began.  I don't know how the @ symbols got there.  Can anyone explain
this?  Anyway, I then used Screenwriter II to try and edit it out since
Applewriter couldn't even read them in.  Screenwriter read the entire file
in but didn't display the inversed @ symbols.  But I went to the spot where the
inversed @ symbols should have been and deleted the text there and the file
was back to normal again.  Moral of the story?  Wordperfect may think that the
@ symbols that you are getting somehow indicated that it was the end of the
file like Applewriter did.  What you need to do is find a way to delete the
@ from the files.  Now that I have sort of found the problem, then what is the
solution.  I managed to solve my problem with Screenwriter but supposing
that screenwriter couldn't read the entire file in either.  Besides wordperfect
runs in prodos.  You would need to find another word processor that runs in
prodos and that would be able to read the entire file in.  Is there some kind
of sector editor that can be used to read a file in and delete these @ symbols?

Thanks,
Chris

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA (Ted Lee) (07/19/87)

    Date:  7 July 1987 11:15 edt
    From:  Rick N. Fincher <ecsvax!ranger at MCNC.ORG>
    Subject:  Re: ProDos/WordPerfect Bug?

    I was having a problem with WordPerfect and their Tech support filks said
    not to copy the disks with anything but the Apple filer.  Some copy programs
    evidently won't copy the disks properly.

That doesn't seem to be the problem.  I have talked to their tech
support people (Jeff) several times and got them to admit there appears
to be a fundamental, but seemingly trivial to fix, problem:  when you
exit from WordPerfect and answer N(o) to the question "do you want to
exit" (or however it's worded), i.e., just want to start working with a
new document, it for some reason does not properly clean up its overflow
files, so that when you read in the next document it will (may)
eventually mix stuff from the old one intothe new one and in fact lose
pieces of the new one (which is what I had noticed.)  The sure fix is to
make sure you re-boot between documents.  It also seems to work, but
I've not exhaustively tested it, never to use the exit function:  when
you are done with a document, save it, delete the whole document (block
seems to work for that) and then read in the new one.

I also noted (I'm now trying to do some serious work with it) that its
support for the Imagewriter printer is thoroughly screwed up.  The
non-proportional one to be you have to use at least printer type 32
(imagewrite option) rather than 4 (imagewriter).  I also don't like the
fact that it defines the different print quality (draft, corresp, nlq)
as different fonts:  I'd much rather have them as different printers so
I could select what quality I wanted without having to edit the print
controls in the document.  Anyone have a better set of printer/font
definitions for the imagewriter and WordPerfect than come with it?

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP ("Rick N. Fincher") (07/23/87)

Thanks for the info.

Rick