[comp.sys.apple] ][+ help with modem

john@bradley.UUCP (07/21/87)

HELP!!!   Im not too familar with the ][+ hardware....
I am trying to setup a ][+ with a modem and terminal program so that
it can communicate with a UNIX machine.

I already have a hayes compatible modem, and I will be buying
a super-serial card, 80 column card and Ascii Express Pro.
Is that all I need??

I want to be able to run an application program which has
inverse video.  Does it really matter what type of 80 column card
I need to get to work with this setup?  Will Ascii Express Pro
be able to emulate a terminal reasonabily well?  Like a vt100.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
John Lengeling			UUCP: {cepu,ihnp4,uiucdcs}!bradley!john
Bradley University		ARPA: cepu!bradley!john@UCLA.CS.EDU
Text Processing 		PH: (309) 677-2230
Bradley Hall Room 6F
Peoria, IL 61625

rasdien@swatsun (Shafiek Rasdien) (07/24/87)

In article <9000001@bradley>, john@bradley.UUCP writes:

> HELP!!!   Im not too familar with the ][+ hardware....
> I am trying to setup a ][+ with a modem and terminal program so that
> it can communicate with a UNIX machine.
>
> I already have a hayes compatible modem, and I will be buying
> a super-serial card, 80 column card and Ascii Express Pro.
> Is that all I need??
>
> I want to be able to run an application program which has
> inverse video.  Does it really matter what type of 80 column card
> I need to get to work with this setup?  Will Ascii Express Pro
> be able to emulate a terminal reasonabily well?  Like a vt100.

  I am do not know about Ascii Express Pro, but Ascii Pro EZ software
  did not know about the single-wire-shift-key modification and hence
  it could display upper and lower case but send only upper case. This
  is extremely irritating when communicating with a UNIX machine. So
  it might be worth checking whether Ascii Express Pro will be able to
  send lower case.

  It should not matter too much what kind of 80 column card because they
  are supposed to emulate DM2500 terminals. However check the requirements
  of the software.  An 80 col card a modem and a SSC is the only hardware
  you need.

  Shafiek Rasdien

     UUCP: ...!seismo!bpa!swatsun!rasdien
     CSNET: rasdien%swatsun.swarthmore.edu@RELAY.CS.NET