[comp.sys.apple] Hard disk drives

whitney@think.COM (David Whitney) (07/17/87)

I'm interested in getting a hard drive for my GS. I want it only for ProDOS,
both 8 and 16. 20 meg. I've been trying to deal with Logic Array, asking about
their ProAPP 20S. They've had troubles with it software-wise, and won't
really be shipping for a while. They want around $750 for 20meg. Who out
there has a hard drive and would like to comment on it? How's customer
support? What did you pay? How fast is the drive? (I'm looking for SCSI)
I've heard mixed opinion on several different drives, but I'd like some
sort of price/performance summary of all (or as many as possible) of the
drives out there that REALLY WORK on the GS. Lot's of drives say SCSI, but
don't explicitly say "works on the GS". This may not matter - I don't know.
Thanks for any info...

David Whitney                              Still learning about my Apple //GS
{the known universe}!ihnp4!think!whitney   and all of its secrets. Any and all
whitney@think.com                          technical info appreciated.
DISCLAIMER: You know the deal...

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (07/28/87)

In article <6559@think.UUCP>, whitney@think.COM (David Whitney) writes:

> I'm interested in getting a hard drive for my GS. I want it only for ProDOS,
> both 8 and 16. 20 meg. I've been trying to deal with Logic Array, asking about
> their ProAPP 20S. They've had troubles with it software-wise, and won't
> really be shipping for a while. They want around $750 for 20meg. Who out
> there has a hard drive and would like to comment on it? How's customer
> support? What did you pay? How fast is the drive? (I'm looking for SCSI)

I have a Sider II running on a BBS system.  It works fine.  It is surprisingly
fast for a disk with 85ms average access.  I suppose that is because it is not
too fragmented yet.  I got a new ROM from a third party that lets you format
the drive as one 20.8 meg Prodos volume (rather than the included software
that makes you put CP/M, Pascal and Dos 3.3 partitions on the drive, whether
you use them or not).  The Sider II is not a SCSI drive either, although it
does use a port similar to a SCSI to allow you to daisy-chain a second Sider
and a Tape drive.  It won't work with other devices like Apple's SCSI though.
The Sider II sell for $599 from Programs Plus, a mail order house.

Rick Fincher
ranger@ecsvax